Bethesda Support Response to Game Freezing

A few days ago I had an issue witht the game repeatedly freezing on the Frostflow Abyss dungeon.  I had posted it here: 

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/t_z/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/f/1733/t/170127.aspx

I also sent an e-mail to Bethesda Support... and got this response back in a couple of days, for those of you interested:

Thank you for contacting Bethsoft support. We apologize for the inconvenience you are encountering with your game. Clearing both your system and game cache may fix your issues. Here are the instructions for both:

Game Cache:
Clearing the Game Cache on the Xbox 360 is a separate function from clearing the System Cache. In order to do so, you must hold the LEFT Bumper, RIGHT Bumper, and the X button all at the same time on the Xbox 360 controller as a game is launching. Once you reach the Main Menu or Title Screen of the game, you can let go of the buttons. There will be no notification to you that this process has completed because it is all done passively.

System Cache:
To clear the Xbox 360 cache select My Xbox, System Settings, Memory… then highlight the HDD, press Y… and then simply select “Clear System Cache”. Select Yes when prompted to perform Hard Drive Maintenance.
* = Deleting the cache will remove temporary game files and updates. Saved games, profiles, DLC etc will NOT be removed.

Best regards,
LD

I don't know if this will correct the problem, as I found a way to avoid the freeze by stubbornley trying over and over to find a way around the freeze, but hopefully this helps other people now or me in the future.  It'd be cool if this could get stickied, since, you know, Skyrim is a glitchy game and this happens to a lot of people. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Game Cache?  Never heard of it.  Funny that it won't give you any notification because it is done "passively".

With Oblivion, holding down the "A" button upon start-up was the way to clear the cache, so I've been doing that everytime I start Skyrim.  I will have to try this next time.

Excellent post. This is the first I've seen on clearing the Skyrim game cache.

Yay hopefully this will help fix some of these freezes i have whenever i press start or go to a shop. Whenever i press the start button the game freezes well not entirely but it wont let me click on items or anything so i have to press b and try again. same for shops i can only press a or b and the it wont let me scroll down the list so i have to press b and try again. So hopefully this will help.

I'm going to try it too. Thanks.  :)

Hey sorry for another post but im just posting it worked and thanks for this info

[quote user="crazywilliam999"]

Hey sorry for another post but im just posting it worked and thanks for this info

[/quote]No worries.  I (and others, I would think) want for people to post whether or not this helped their problems.  Thanks for the feedback!

Wow. Thanks for letting us know. I hope this works! It would be good if I can keep playing and not have to trade in the game.

Why is this not a Sticky Topic!!! Worked perfectly for the freezing for me, it would actually lock up the Xbox completely :)

It's a mystery data3.  This has worked for a lot of people.  Not sure why it won't get stickied.  Kinda getting tired of referring people to it though...