Best Methods to Handle Harassment

Alright - so I've been tolerating the same belligerent, incessant harassment from one particular fool on Xbox Live, while playing Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Roughly one week ago, he joined a lobby and immediately started trash talking, using racial slurs, hate speech, vulgarity, and above all else, began team killing. I told him that he is a real piece of work, muted him, returned the team kill, and left the game.

Promptly after leaving the game, I "avoided" him. He sent me a friend request, ironically, which enabled me to "block communications". So at this point, he is Muted, Avoided, and Blocked - yet he is STILL able to join my games and harass me.

There is no coincidence that he can join several of my games per night. Evidently, the "ignore features" simply don't work. He has made death threats as well, informing me that he will do WHAT he wants, WHEN he wants.

Simply put, I'm well aware that Microsoft is an enormous corporation. But even they, are not above the law. I'm strongly considering exploring legal alternatives to this, as I've had my fair share. Support isn't available 24/7, which is pathetic, considering I my time on X-Live revolves around the graveyard shift. I work from home, and my wife has a night shift, which leaves me ample time to get online at night, but never enough time to contact Support during their weak hours. 

So aside from reporting this player to local authorities - my only other alternative is to contact my attorney. Unfortunately, the reality of it is, if I'm forced to utilize legal services, Microsoft and its Xbox Live subsidiaries is liable and will be held accountable for failure to review the complaints I've filed, and terminate his access. There are numerous references in the ToS, EuLA, and Privacy Policy that dictate the illegality of harassment. And considering how much legislation has been passed in the last year, regarding Cyber Bullying & Harassment - I'd say Microsoft is in for a rude awakening.

Too Long: Didn't Read? I've been harassed incessantly, with malicious intent, for the last week. Any use of provided "ignore" features have failed, and he consistently circumvents blocks and avoids. It is MY right to privacy, and Microsoft's duty to ensure it. Aside from filing an affidavit with my attorney, what other options do I have - arbitrarily through Microsoft?

***Just for the record, the "TAGS" feature is trash. It took me several minutes to get around the forced auto-complete.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The CoD-games are filled with idiot's like that, but there's not much you can do except filing a complaint.

lol dont go on cod then u wont get harrassed by lil kids just mute them all and block them simple enough

Orbit, you really should take this sort of thing with a grain of salt. Contrary to what others would like to point out, the problem with the CoD online community is false.--The problem is the anonymity of any mass online gather, for instance: Call of Duty, Xbox Live or the Internet in general. They re all sorts of trolls, flamers and other e-Antisocials. Just learn to handle yourself better to get around it. Now I'm not saying you need to fix yourself for there to be no problem. But online gaming and the internet in general is a broken system that isn't foolproof in any way. And not to shoot you down, but you aren't going to be able to do crap legally. I almost dare you. Don't be so melodramatic, friend.--Frankly, you are in a public lobby that he has every right to as you do. Maybe he is friends with others in your lobby.--You can't deny him that. Probably he is looking up your profile and waiting for you to join up and simply entering your game. Just adjust your privacy features to be seen by friends only. But he is just a troll. He'll get bored and move on. Just don't fan the flames.

• File complaint
  • Block communication
  • Set online status to friends only (will prevent him from joining your match)
  • Move on

You could stop playing CoD and start playing a good game.

[quote user="ZOMBIE on XBL"]

• File complaint
  • Block communication
  • Set online status to friends only (will prevent him from joining your match)
  • Move on

[/quote]
Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

Orbit Storm, "harassment" under most definitions of Law does not fall under playing a Game with someone. So any Legal Action to speak of is going to be very, very difficult case for you. Second, the Avoid Player System only works as a probability of you not Joining that persons Games via Player Match.

Avoid Player does nothing from preventing someone from Joining your Games via Recent Players. It only creates the likely-hood of not Matching you with him (if applicable). It's best do do what was stated above. Set your Profile to Friends Only and that Player will not have Access to when you are Online and will negate the Recent Player List.

Hey man, sorry to hear about your troubles. Something similar happened to me about year ago. Whenever I got online I would make myself appear offline. He can't join any of your games that way. The 'child' bothering me finally gave up afte he could nolonger join my games because I was offline. Hope you get it straightened out. I would also recommend contacting a XBLPET directly and explain your situation. The can see the messages he sent you and more than likely they can act on it faster. Just look under the suspension forums and you will see the XBLPET members gts there.

[quote user="AlphaNobleOmega"]

I would also recommend contacting a XBLPET directly and explain your situation.

[/quote]

Just real quick, I would not recommend doing this. They don't accept unsolicited, Reports, Messages. The OP should simply use the Tools/ Features from XBL and move on. Contacting the XBL PET doesn't "make things faster".

Wow. Welcome to the internet? If you can't simply ignore something as little as this then perhaps you don't belong on the internet....