Being Taxed Twice To Buy Something on the Marketplace

I recently decided to buy a game from the marketplace, but it said I was short because of taxes. Normally I would not mind this, except when I realized I was being taxed twice for the same purchase. I was taxed the first time when I bought the gift card, then a second time when I tried to use it. Before the switch from MSP I would be taxed once on purchases, I believe as a consumer it is fair to be taxed once.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

Um you are only taxed once you aren't taxed when buying gift cards that's part of international laws

You get the exact amount you pay for in the gift card so there is no tax on gift card purchases

The currency will only be taxed At the time of purchase of the dlc

Unless you mean prepaid dlc codes from game stop those cards were probably made before the transition to currency

Then that would be on the old points system which took taxes into consideration

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was just taxed twice by buying the Destiny Expansion Pass thru GameStop. The GameStop website, and the emailed invoice, said I purchased a download code; $35.00 plus tax.  However, when I redeemed the code, I was credited only $35.00, and when I purchased the Pass I was charged $34.99 plus tax.  So, after being in contact with both GameStop and Microsoft, it seems GameStop was only selling a gift card for the amount that would cover the Destiny Expansion Pass purchase; not a direct download code.  So is this legal to charge tax on the Live Currency (a gift card)?  And as the Microsoft Support suggested why would you ever buy a gift card or Live Currency (especially from GameStop), when you should just purchase everything via the Market Place?  BTW, the link from the Destiny website, to purchase the Expansion Pass, to the Microsoft Store is broken, so only the GameStop option is available.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Rain Cloud Five. This thread is kind of old. Looks like you were answered in this thread here. If you need further assistance with any other support issue, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way we can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)

Sorry this didn't help.