Beer ads

Why is my 7 year old daughters account keep showing ads for Coors Light?  This is unacceptable, I have had to ban her from the 360 and only let her play the Wii and PS3 since these have been on there.  She wants to play Kinectamals but I don't want her seeing ads for beer.  We are a christian family, this is horrible to even be seen on my account.  Please remove these ads, or does Microsoft and the Xbox support team support child and teen alcoholism?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm not seeing any adverts for beer on my Dashboard. And yes, I've checked every section of it. Is her account Gold or Silver? Instead of banning her from the console why not just explain to her the sins of even thinking about drinking beer? When you created her account did you enter her correct birthdate?

You can go into her account permissions and set the marketing option to "family."

[quote user="Temhotabot"]

I'm not seeing any adverts for beer on my Dashboard. And yes, I've checked every section of it. Is her account Gold or Silver? Instead of banning her from the console why not just explain to her the sins of even thinking about drinking beer? When you created her account did you enter her correct birthdate?

[/quote]

I also have never seen any adverts for beer. Maybe it is because i just do not carefully look at the ads

I have yet to see any beer ads myself. One thing you can do is go to your child's "Privacy and Online Settings"- make sure that the Programming is set to family and not standard. That option decides whether to receive standard or family Xbox LIVE programming. Programming includes game and video offers and promotions on Xbox Dashboard.

Nope I have never seen a beer add ever as well.

We are also a Christian family and I hate alcohol with a passion. But I have not seen any beer ads at all. Do the ads show up under your account also?

I did see a Bud Light ad on EA's Madden Bowl advertisment but it was modified almost instantly and the beed ad was removed. Like fyerball said, make sure your console settings are on family and you will never see this programming.

On a side note, I do not know what christanity has to do with hating alcohol. It is actually the christians who were responsible for the evolution of beer. One of the main beers I drink is actually brewed by Trappist Monks. The beer is sold only for financial support of the monastery.

The process of brewing beer grew tremendously during the rise of Christianity. This was primarily because of the roles that monks had in the production of beer. Monasteries were some of the first organizations to brew beer as a trade. Monks built breweries as part of their efforts to provide food, shelter and drink to various travelers and pilgrims.

A large number of Christian saints are patrons of brewing. Saint Augustine of Hippo, Saint Arnulf of Metz, Saint Luke the Evangelist, and Saint Nicholas all are considered to be patrons of brewing

That's strange i am an Xbox live gold member and i don't have any family settings on because i don't have children but i haven't seen any beer ads?

-

Hm.. But anyhow on the Xbox there is a parental control setting where you can set settings for the family and such on; set the marketing setting to "family", That might fix the issue.  

-

But apart from that don't think Microsoft wants your daughter to see alcohol i mean if she uses xbox live without parental control then of course she'll see some things she shouldn't not everyone that uses the xbox is a kid. So to reduce the chances of her seeing this just set parental controls on the xbox itself you can even time limit the amount of time she plays with it as well if i remember correctly.

I have seen a handful of beer ads, gold and not set to family. Not really a huge issue. It's just a large rocket ship flying in the sky in the shape of a beer bottle. I've seen much more descriptive depictions during the children's Saturday morning cartoon programs.

I also have a daughter that is growing up and is around the Xbox, but I wouldn't personally consider this an issue. I would try setting the family setting like others have stated, but that being said, I PERSONALLY (everyone is different) don't think that these specific ads are damaging in any way.

Good parenting though! You are being observant and not enough parents like us, it seems.

[quote user="SwiftShock"]

I have seen a handful of beer ads, gold and not set to family. Not really a huge issue. It's just a large rocket ship flying in the sky in the shape of a beer bottle. I've seen much more descriptive depictions during the children's Saturday morning cartoon programs.

I also have a daughter that is growing up and is around the Xbox, but I wouldn't personally consider this an issue. I would try setting the family setting like others have stated, but that being said, I PERSONALLY (everyone is different) don't think that these specific ads are damaging in any way.

Good parenting though! You are being observant and not enough parents like us, it seems.

[/quote]

While it is good to be observant, how far is going too far? Now I am really against marketing of any kind on this console that doesnt have to do with Xbox games, hardware and programming but I as well do not think they are damaging in any way. I also think that being too strict on these things create rebellious teenagers.

Now here is my problem with all of this. Video Games have always been under fire for one or another for things that have always been acceptable in other forms of media , literature and in public in general. Now if a parent is going to ban their child from playing a game system because of a little beer ad, does this also mean they are not allowed to watch sporting events? And what about shopping? Supermarkets contain some very expensive beer marketing. Not only in the beer isle but big billboard like displays all over the store. Do you not allow your children to go into a Kroger or Wal-Mart? Or is it just unacceptable in video games?