Battlefield 3 Questions

I've never played this game but after picking up MW3 to play with some friends, I have to say I'm about to go trade it in for Battlefield 3. I'm real unfamiliar with Battlefield and if you guys wouldn't care I could use some info. Are there straight deathmatch game types to get away from the objective based game modes? Is the multiplayer close quarters and rushed like the CoD? It seems like you can't move without being killed from behind or someone sitting on a couch shooting you. Also, how does the class system work? Say can you pick a weapon and build around it with attatchments?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

conquest is like domination from cod, except its about the size of 10 COD maps combined and you spawn at the points or with your squad.

Rush is like demolition, except when u kill both points, 2 more appear and you have to push forward.

i recommend rush/conquest as they are the primary modes of the game

basically, you pick a class, each class has a weapon set

assault get assault rifles and medpacks, you auto heal in BF3, but it takes a while, a health kit makes you heal faster

support gets LMGs, they carry ammo for the team, its useful when you are firing rockets and throwing grenades at the enemy.

engineer gets ?? short assault rifles?  tbh, i don't know what you would call them, but they are basically assault rifles but for more close combat, you get  a rocket launcher too, kill tanks please.

recon/sniper gets a sniper rifle, please dont camp with it  you can also place a mobile spawn point so your team can spawn closer to the enemy line.

best part of the game? no lame @@@ killstreaks!

The game rewards you more if you go for the objective in Rush and Conquest mode. You can be the MvP of the game with 0 if you are a true teamplayer. You get points for resupplying your team with ammo, reviving fallen teammates, repairing friendly vehicles, capturing and destroying objectives, even spotting the enemy. It's not a lonewolf game, you'll feel a lot closer to your team and you won't get upset if someone stole your kill because you get as much points for an assist. Also, you'll experience unique battlefield moments which are occurrences that will never happen in a CoD game.

dont forget you need an online pass to play multiplayer, sooo buy it new.

[quote user="IAmSoStewped"]

dont forget you need an online pass to play multiplayer, sooo buy it new.

[/quote]

Very important.

[quote user="AA25 Mamba"]

I really like the sound of the larger maps and the classes with the special abilities. I've just never been much into the objective based game types. Is it just as effective on these modes just looking for the kills and helping your teammates as it is going for the objective points?

[/quote]

It can be however you may get some pissed off teammates. TDM and SQDM are very fun and you can mindlessly run around slaughtering people. In the objective game types, the team that focuses on the objectives is generally gonna do the best. While there are always those players that don't care and run around killing. It is more beneficial to actually focus on the objectives.

#OP, If you buy BF3, try not to give up on the frist day and run back to COD. Its got quite a learning curve and alot of people that come over to this game from only ever playing COD find this game very difficult to pick up. Its a great game but it requires alot of patience. COD is a lone wolf, run and gun FPS, BF3 is team based and even in TDM, a team that works together will be more successful then 12 lone wolfs.

My advice when buying this game would to also find some friends that have play other Battlefield titles and ask them to walk you though the 4 different weapon classes, game modes and team based aspect of the game.  

I was a COD fan forever, never playing any of the other BF's, I got BF3 because i was tired of BO and couldnt wait for MW3.  That being said, IMO COD is awful compared to BF3, its not even in the same ballpark.  I bought MW3 played MP for 2 hrs, put in the Campaign for a few hrs and went back to BF and have played it since.  

Just the size of the maps, options, destruction, vehicles, etc... makes it 100x better.  You will have a slight issue at first getting use to it, but when you do i'm guessing you'll think the same as me...hope this helps.

boats

BF3 can be summed up easily...No assisted help (killstreaks), you do/earn everything as a squad/team, sandbox style multiplayer, class-based. It's the total opposite of CoD, IMO. Check out some gameplay footage and read a bit...it's not for everyone, and it has a learning curve...but once you get it down, it is very satisfying. Don't get frustrated if you struggle early on...I was terrible when I first got into BF. Now I consider myself to be pretty good.

I haven't unlocked everything so my list is just the basics.

Assault - Assault rifle, med packs for healing, defibrillator for reviving

Engineer - Submachine gun, an array of anti-vehicle weaponry, able to repair vehicles close (torch) or from a distance (EOD bot)

Support - LMG, ammo for resupplying teammates, C4, mortars

Recon - Sniper rifle, motion detecting equipment, mobile spawn beacon, SOFLAM

Even though certain kits have specific weapons there's also "all kit" weapons, which add a lot of variety. UMP-45, 870 MCS, PP-2000 are just a few examples of what you can equip in any kit. With each individual weapon you can level it up and unlock attachments like flashlights, suppressors, jelly bean dispensers, etc.

When I first started getting heavy into shooters CoD was the best thing since sliced bread.....that is until I discovered BF. I'm like you, I hated the small maps. When you can lob a grenade over a building from one flag to another something is wrong.

I really like the sound of the larger maps and the classes with the special abilities. I've just never been much into the objective based game types. Is it just as effective on these modes just looking for the kills and helping your teammates as it is going for the objective points?

Finding other randoms who communicate might be an issue. Your best bet is to buy the game with a friend or make some here or using the Battlefield's Battlelog social network to form platoons with other players who want the same thing as well.