Battlefield 3 Open Beta Update <From DICE

Thank you for playing the Open Beta and making the final game better!

We are very excited to see so many gamers join our Battlefield 3 Open Beta. Here’s an update on the Open Beta from DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson.

I want to give you an overview of how the Open Beta is helping us shape a fantastic final game, what we are implementing based on your feedback, and how the Open Beta will help us deliver a robust gaming environment from day one.

The Open Beta is a true Beta

The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old. We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we’ve built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms.

Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up. This means that the code you are now playing is actually quite early and not representative of the final game.

We had to do this in order to have as many people testing as possible, in order to ensure a top quality experience when the game is released. However, we’re confident in the Battlefield formula and confident that our fans will support us in order to make Battlefield 3 better.

Dedicated servers require dedicated testing

The biggest reason for running the Open Beta is to stress test our servers and back end. Already, we are seeing 6 times the number of simultaneous players in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta compared to the Beta for Battlefield: Bad Company 2! The fact that Battlefield 3 is clearly our biggest game launch ever by a magnitude of 6 makes it doubly important to test everything.

We are constantly updating the News section on Battlelog with information on what we are fixing from Open Beta to final. We appreciate your time and your feedback. The data and feedback from the Open Beta will not only directly affect the final game of Battlefield 3, but its future development and support.

We’re heading out on the road this week to let journalists experience all aspects of Battlefield 3. Stay tuned for their previews, and stay tuned for the final game on October 25th. The final game will look, play and sound better than the Open Beta. You have helped making sure of that.

The amounts of people flocking to our Open Beta is fantastic! We are happy to see so many players enjoy this Open Beta, and giving us their valuable feedback on the experience on the Battlelog forums.

This blog post is the first in a series of posts that will outline some of the changes we are making in the final game thanks to your feedback and participation in the Open Beta.

Come back regularly and stay tuned to the Battlelog forums and the News section in Battlelog for daily news and updates from DICE on how your playing the Open Beta is helping us make the final game better.

A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1
(Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

Karl Magnus Troedsson

General Manager, DICE

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

"so, no..we wont make the beta look or sound better, and we wont give you any vehicles. But trust us, this game will kill MW3!"

"The final game will look, play and sound better than the Open Beta. You have helped making sure of that." Look its right above you!Look!

[quote user="Jedi Knight GZ"]

"so, no..we wont make the beta look or sound better, and we wont give you any vehicles. But trust us, this game will kill MW3!"

[/quote]

So, how would it make good business sense to fix something. That you won't be able to play again after Monday. It makes better sense to make fixes to the FINAL PRODUCT THAN A BETA.

I don't get the point in posting this again.  Its not gonna stop the complaining.  They have a valid reason to complain.  Beta's on consoles in the last couple years are glorified marketing tools to drive sales.  They are basically demos.  Reach and GoW3 are perfect examples of that.  They were both much older builds than this is and they both were very close to the final game with small fixes for bugs and a slight tweeks to gameplay.  Dice is stupid if they didn't think people would judge the final game from the beta.  Imo releasing this beta was a very stupid idea.  I enjoyed the beta myself and it sold me on purchasing the game down the road, but most people on consoles haven't experienced a real beta like PC games have.

I just hope that everyone by now knows that MS is the reason they had to dumb down the BETA. They had a cap on the download size and had to take out a lot of stuff to make it fit. Bits are Bits they can only fit so much stuff into a less then 1.6 gig cap.

They could have done two downloads.  1.6 for the beta then another as an update.  DICE had other options and they screwed up with this release.

Or what about a beta CD at your local game store if you pre-order?

[quote user="Ghorman"]

They could have done two downloads.  1.6 for the beta then another as an update.  DICE had other options and they screwed up with this release.

Or what about a beta CD at your local game store if you pre-order?

[/quote]

it takes 3 Weeks for software going on the XBL Market Place to be Certified and if you want an update, you have to play XXX amount of cash (as a Developer).

CDs cost money, and again, it take time and money to press and ship.

This was not put out to try and make people buy the game it was for testing that is why it is only up for a few weeks. To press a DVD and ship it free would cost them millions. Also it takes MS at least 1-2 weeks to pass ALL downloads for live. So by the time they submit a patch and MS approves it, It might take up to 3 weeks to roll out.

I keep hoping that this game will rock, but it seems like the fixes that I want are not included.  DICE made a PC game that they now are trying to cram onto a console.  It seems to be failing.  24 players instead of 64.  Graphics in the Beta=substandard.  CODlike gameplay on a map that I dont seem to care for does not help make up my mind that this will be a great game on launch.

You guys can't fight the fact that the beta is going to hurt sales.  If you are making a product you should do everything in your power to send the correct message to the customers.  The beta is not sending a good message to most of the players.  I know at least 6 friends who canceled their pre-order because of the beta.  I really hope DICE can improve the graphics and game play because COD needs to be pushed by other shooters to improve.  Just like Xbox 360 needs PS3 to do well.