Battlefield 3 on 360 to feature "Higher Res Textures" when installed

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/223708/360-version-of-battlefield-3-to-offer-optional-install-of-high-resolution-textures/?

Saw it on the Battlelog. Figured I'd post it.

Copypasta

360 Version of Battlefield 3 to Offer Optional Install of High Resolution Textures

DICE has confirmed that the second disc of Battlefield 3 on 360 will feature an optional high resolution texture pack.

Multi-disc 360 games are becoming more common these days. As games become more and more bloated and the limitations of the DVD medium are starting to present themselves to developers, we're starting to see larger, more ambitious games offer optional installs for additional features or, in some cases, split their gameplay across more than one disc. Recently, this has happened with id's Rage, and DICE's upcoming shooter Battlefield 3 will also be following this trend, too.

"There's a voluntary install on the 360," said Battlefield 3 producer Patrick Liu in conversation with GamerZines yesterday. "I think Rage did it as well, where you can install content to stream higher res textures. We're pushing that technology to the limit, and compared to our competitors, I would argue that we're the best looking game."

Liu didn't mention whether the PS3 version will also include the hi-res texture pack as an optional install -- or whether it will simply include the better textures as part of a mandatory installation process. Many PS3 games require game data to be installed to the system hard drive due to the higher seek times of Blu-Ray discs causing loading breaks to be longer if game data isn't properly optimized. It would make sense for the PS3 version to include hi-res textures in a mandatory install -- if it's on the disc, it might as well be used -- but then, the PC version demands 20GB of hard drive space, which would be a significant proportion of the PS3's available storage to be required in order to play.

We've contacted EA to see if they can clarify Liu's quotes and find out what the situation is with the PS3 version.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Dusty Arne"]

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

[quote user="Domuhnic"]

and I got PLENTY of hard drive space.

[/quote]

U gots to delete some of thoZe viVa Pinata saveZ brO.

[/quote]

You totally misunderstood the use of Capital letters dude. You should work on that.. And "Saves" is with a "S" (used a capital letter to make it clear now)

[/quote]

AND---Sarcasm is with an "S" too! ........../facepalm

cool gonna look nice and sound nice on my 5.1

yeah rage was fun but short, the throwing spinner reminded me of a movie called Krull back in the day.

I finished RAGE today and it was almost 12hrs total (since your all talkin about that game) and honestly theres nothin left to do so..off to trade in land i think its goin for BF3..i just hope i get a good trade out of it.

Well from the way they're describing it I would imagine it would work like Rage. Streaming off your HDD is probably faster than a DVD. It I'm guessing it won't effect performance at all or MS most likely wouldn't even allow it.

good to know thanks

[quote user="MISFITSWITCH"]

This makes me so HAPPY!!! I have been hoping for this. I was going to pick up rage today but i might just hold out for BF. Is rage a open world 30 hour game or closed 8 hour game? I only get a 3-4 hours a week with my new work and have to pick and chose witch games i play now. But was hoping to pass rage before BF came out.

[/quote]It's a 15 hour game, but that's only if you stop to do all the side quests exploring, then there's also co-op which adds another 2 hours or so on to that. The game is not very open world though, it's much more linear than I thought it would be and it was a bit of let down that it's basically a corridor shooter hinting at an open world that just isn't there.

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

[quote user="Domuhnic"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You totally misunderstood the use of Capital letters dude. You should work on that.. And "Saves" is with a "S" (used a capital letter to make it clear now)

[quote user="Domuhnic"]

[/quote]

[quote user="DriedPooh"]

how will added texture effect lag ? rather have it dull and be able to shoot fast them have it pretty and be dead man walking

[/quote]Well from the way they're describing it I would imagine it would work like Rage. Streaming off your HDD is probably faster than a DVD. It I'm guessing it won't effect performance at all or MS most likely wouldn't even allow it. 

how will added texture effect lag ? rather have it dull and be able to shoot fast them have it pretty and be dead man walking