Battlefield 3 - Disc 2 "Unrecognized Disc" error message

Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Multiplay game works perfectly fine. But the Single Player Disc 2 will not work.

I tried it dozens of times, but it comes up saying "Unrecognized Disc". In My XBOX from time to time it will show the BF3 splash logo when the game is in the drive, but choosing 'Play Game' results in the 'Unrecognized Disc' error message. Suggesting I wipe the disc with a cloth and reboot the console. I've done that and every single thin that Microsoft's online support recommends, but it makes no difference.

Bizzarely, once out of the dozens of attempts it actually started the game, got to the scene where the guy jumps onto the train, then froze. It's never been seen again. Apparently this is common for lots of people.

There have been suggestions in other forums (Eurogamer.net and Kotaku) that this is because of the new XGD3 format discs and was seen recently when GOW 3 game out.

It looks like there's been some suggestion that Microsoft were replacing consoles where the drives had the issue reading these discs.

Can anyone help? Is there a fix pending?

I'm happy enough that I can play the multiplayer online, but having paid top dollar for a brand new game on release day, I'm disappointed it's not working out of the box.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

There have been a few issues with the new format as you have mentioned, however this may not be the final factor, i'd suggest that you attempt the disc on another Xbox if possible, if the disc runs absolute fine on the other console, then it'll be a console fault, if you have an older console, it'd be best to seek a newer console as a replacement so you do not face this fault with future games. Obviously if the disc does not work on this other disc then i'd suggest a simple disc replacement from your retailer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would check the disc for scratches or cracks or any kind of tampering. If you can run the multiplayer disc the single player disc should work fine. So it has to be the disc itself. I would suggest calling the retailer that sold you the disc and ask for a disc swap, or a new copy.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend taking the game back to the store you bought it from to have them replace it. Even if this issue can be fixed by a patch or update, if that doesn't solve the issue you may pass the stores returns policy period, meaning they may not accept what sounds like a faulty disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you been able to try this disc out on another XBOX 360 console and see if it comes up with the same error or not? It's quite possible that the 2nd disc might be damaged in some way shape or form and you might have to get a new copy. Let us know what's going on, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.