Background Info in Skyrim?

Just wondering from some of those who have experience with past ES tittles. Would Skyrim include information ( thru books and other items) about past Elder Scrolls and if this is the first ES game you have played, fill you in on what you need? Even tho this story is in it's own, there will no doubt be times where extra knowledge will be nice. (example: new vegas was its own game, but having played fallout3 there were alot of times something was said or mentioned that made me laugh or gave me extra knowledge)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe a few things, but since the games are all so far apart in lore (years wise), I doubt that there will be much. I think that the appeal to playing previous installments would be to see how the lore of the world has moved forward.

Yep. Daggerfall called back to Arena a few times (but mostly expanded on things introduced in Arena), Morrowind had a couple references to Daggerfall (a book on the Warp in the West for example), and Oblivion had a few references to Morrowind (a few returning NPCs, reference to the Nerevarine's and Vivec's disappearances, the Uderfyke). Skyrim will obviously be making a number of references to the two TES books that haven been released since Oblivion that have added in a lot of major events (Morrowind basically being completely screwed over, for example), and I'm sure there will be a bit more as well.

According to some thingamajiggy I read or watched from the hour impression someone read the lore hadn't moved forward at all. they read mostly the same books and whatnot. That was the reviewers only complaint, that it doesn't feel like 200 years have passed and the other games happened.

Well considering most of the books in Elder Scrolls where about historic events, it makes sense that they will remain as is. History doesn't change just because time moves on, same with novels. We still after all read Jane Austen, Shakespeare, etc so why wouldn't they still read their classics.

Really, he's complaint is "I walked around a very limited area of the game and only saw old books so therefore there is no new books" that is quite a conjecture on his part.

Now that doesn't mean his is not correct, just that there are good reasons why Bethseda won't want to reveal the titles and contents of any new books until realease. So until we get a full book list, people shouldn't make such claims. 

they could also just've been place holders.

I think there will be a book about the Last Emporer. And perhaps, finally, one big book of heroes :D

The two main agruments I've heard about new/old books are:

1. (basically what starscream said) classics are carried over through generations and will continue to be read and seen as frequently as we see Shakespheare and ancient Mythology. The ratio between new and old cannot be measured accurately until release.

2. You cannot compare the lfiespan of our culture's literature to TES since over a course of two hundred years we advance technologically and create better record keeping while the cultures in TES stay relatively the same. In other words, the older the books are in TES, the rarer they must become since copies may or may not continue to be produced and older copies become damaged or lost over time.

In my opinion, this game is going to lack something. If everything promised lives up to itself, then the devs focus on one element of the game has to be lacking. I have a feeling that's literature and lore.

Thanks for the comments.

So the old books should give you all the history you need to be fully immersed in the game?

As with new books i hope.

[quote user="apatch of grass"]

The two main agruments I've heard about new/old books are:

1. (basically what starscream said) classics are carried over through generations and will continue to be read and seen as frequently as we see Shakespheare and ancient Mythology. The ratio between new and old cannot be measured accurately until release.

2. You cannot compare the lfiespan of our culture's literature to TES since over a course of two hundred years we advance technologically and create better record keeping while the cultures in TES stay relatively the same. In other words, the older the books are in TES, the rarer they must become since copies may or may not continue to be produced and older copies become damaged or lost over time.

In my opinion, this game is going to lack something. If everything promised lives up to itself, then the devs focus on one element of the game has to be lacking. I have a feeling that's literature and lore.

[/quote]

Except based on the quality of the books and the fact that Cyrodiil could maintain a newspaper, we can say that they have the printing press or equivalent technology. Plus the fact that the books are so widespread mean literacy is high and the publishers have the ability to produce large quantities. So new versions of the old books should be constantly being printed, never allowing scenario two to occur.

So untrue. When's the last time you saw a copy of the bible, or jane eyre? Oh wait..