back to scoring questions

So i just finished a game and according to Halo Stats on waypoint ... i came in 11th but when i look at the scores there were 7 players with better scores then me an 1 player tied with me, altho i had more kills then he did so at worst i should have come in 9th not 11th and at best 8th ... so am i missing something ?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think but I'm not sure that it places you based on your placing from both teams.

thats what i thought too but that doesn't hold true ..... i just finished another game and it says i finished 9th and yet i finished first on my team(altho we lost) and 5th overall in score and medals ....so what do they add or take away that 343 is not telling us ...... is there a "handicap" number that we dont know about

No idea man.  I really hate it when games don't explain the scoring.  It's like when I kept scratching my head trying to figure out the scoring for Survival Mode in MW3 or Instant Action in F.E.A.R.  You have to do all the experimentation and comparing of data yourself.

I can't immediately explain this, so we'll take a look.

"So i just finished a game and according to Halo Stats on waypoint ... i came in 11th but when i look at the scores there were 7 players with better scores then me an 1 player tied with me, altho i had more kills then he did so at worst i should have come in 9th not 11th and at best 8th ... so am i missing something ?".

I can't answer this one. What kind of match was this? Follow the explanation given below for this one as well, but I can't actually tailor one to this situation since I don't have enough information. If you can link an example game, or the link to the one described here, I could explain that.

"i just finished another game and it says i finished 9th and yet i finished first on my team(altho we lost) and 5th overall in score and medals ....so what do they add or take away that 343 is not telling us".

This one makes sense. As far as rank between the players, you were fifth because you beat four of the winning team's players (by score, of course). and were first on your team. This places you as "Fifth Best Player" as it were. However, you lost, so your official place for the game is ninth: you were the best player on your team, but everyone on your team is behind everyone on theirs, so your first plus their eight winning team members places you at ninth for the game.

________

As far as the second example, I'd consider you the fifth best player and ignore the ninth rating. It shouldn't matter that four worse players were on the winning team and that doesn't mean they did better than you did.

I personally would take it further if I wanted to seriously place you and look at your K/D and specific medals for the match, since having a high score doesn't even necessarily mean you went positive, and if you're not going positive... you're not an asset unless you helped in other, important ways.

"No idea man.  I really hate it when games don't explain the scoring".

I love when I have to figure stuff out and can't stand the opposite: when games give me tutorials and excessive information about everything.

Yeah I do love trying to figure out the math and all that, but hate it when I can't whittle it down to one number.  I tried factoring everything I could for Survival Mode in MW3.  The first 3 numbers were a no brainer.  Each wave = 1,000 points, but it was the last 3 numbers that I had no clue on how it was scored.  I tried using kills and combo multipliers and when that got close to being consistent but was still off, I used time and still couldn't figure it out.  I did figure out F.E.A.R. though. And I have yet to see any manual or tutorial that explains scoring for modes with a leaderboard. It's as if they don't want you to know. As for your explanation for Maniac, you are saying it places you based on your standing from both teams?

I know that's what it was doing in the second example, yes.

He places fifth best person based on score yet he's actually listed as 9th when he's best on his team and his team of 8 loses to another team of 8? 8 + 1 = 9, so I am confident that's what it was based on. As I also said, I'd ignore that --since I consider that deeply flawed-- and call him the fifth best player that game if you're looking solely at score.

i too love to figure out how/what things are done but it helps to have the"rosetta stone" and when that "rosetta stone" is showing weird numbers or discrepancy's that don't equate it makes it alot tougher to figure it out ....... IMO the game companies have gotten lazy with any kind of manual, or tutorial or onsight info. for them it is easier to not do it and let the "community" do it ........ halo 4 didn't even come with a manual in the game and the descriptions of what each specialization does/gives you is "story-line" that we as players don't have a clue as to what each will do for us ............... it's the old "candy bar" game ...... the company raises the price, but gives you less  

I don't mind no manuals because the "excessive information" they included weren't very informative and was just too much obvious info.  It's the deeper stuff like scoring or weapon statistics that no manual has ever had.

app.halowaypoint.com/.../match-c7db989e50e762eb

This is the link to the first game described in the OP.

Some things to look at:

1) He is listed as 11th.

2) He lost.

3) He scored fourth on his team.

4) They had 11 players, four of whom can be discounted because they didn't finish.

5) They don't have a first, second or third. Their team starts from 4th place, though none of the DNF players outscore the 'fourth' player, let alone three of them. This appears to be a glitch and though it was confusing, it doesn't change anything.

You placed 11th because there are seven of their players ahead of any of your players (because they won, as we discussed earlier) and you're fourth on your team.

7 [of them] + 3 [ahead of you] + 1 [you] = 11th place.

Again, of course, I'd largely ignore that 11th place and instead line all players' scores up and use that placing instead. People who do abysmally aren't automatically better than better players because they happened to be on the winning team and their official system doesn't represent that.

So if you play a 10 player match..and finish with a higher score than anybody, including the other team, and your team loses, you are in 6th place?