Athlete Steve.... Really?

Thought that to be a bit funny and really rather racist.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Keltic Rage"]Thought that to be a bit funny and really rather racist. [/quote]Now you mention it, it does seem a tad racist...

I always thought it was Mr. T.

I always thought it was Mr T as well and didn't think anything of it. But when you select your skin it calls him athlete Steve. I was a bit shocked.

I mean, if he actually looked like an athlete then I wouldn't think anything about it. But him looking at Mr T and being called an ahelit is just wrong.

I'm glad you started this post because I was EXTREMELY tempted to comment on it as well last night when I saw it. Some might not find it a big deal but the last thing we need is another Rockstar like incident in the news with a game we enjoy getting trashed publically.

What were they thinking? Had he been in at the least some sort of sporty outfit one might be able to argue the title, but he's wearing nothing more than a wifebeater and a gold chain.

Lol, I didn't think each one was Steve.

So all you people are saying black people can't be athletic? Who's the ones being racists? ;)

I'm only kidding! To be serious, though, would people be happier if it was Thug Steve or something like that?

I don't think it's an issue of it being "Thug Steve" or "Athlete Steve" or even "Black Steve". It's just that he's in a wife beater with a gold chain, and falls too heavily on stereo types with it's title and his look. Imagine for a moment if they had generic steve with black face on and called the skin "Entertainer Steve".  I'm not going to lay harsh judgement on them claiming it was done intentionally as racist, but they do need to perhaps hire someone with better training on these matters so they can review what they put out globally. My concerns are that something so simple as this could create such a backlash as to see update times take a hit as they are placed under deeper scrutiny and review causing more delays before we see them. Still amazed at how MS didn't think this was an issue after reviewing it lol. You can't even express yourself half the time in your profile thanks to all the various filters and blocks in place to prevent words or other things from posting and yet Athlete Steve manages to slip on past lol.

Don't get me wrong, I think the skin is pretty cool looking, but the name wasn't very well thought out lol.

I still don't see any issue with it. If they made all the skins white people then people would be complaining about that. Hell, I remember when some guy called Notch a racist because the endermen are black and used to steal everything. People will complain about anything it seems, even the smallest, dumbest things.

i thought it was street guy steve