At what age can a child buy games with Microsoft points

We allowed our son to purchase 2100 Microsoft points at the weekend at the supermarket via a prepayment card.  He is 9 - will be 10 next month.  He has been unable to redeem his points and purchase Minecraft and I was told on Saturday this was because he is under 10 and you need to be 10 or over to purchase games.  After nearly 3 hours on live chat with a representative of Microsoft they agreed to refund the points to my account so I could purchase the game for him to play as he didn't want to wait until he turns 10 (I dont personally even want an account but had to set one up as he is a minor!).  I am still waiting for the Advocacy team to refund the points and have had to contact the live chat team again to verify information on my sons account - am still talking to them (just 90 mins so far this evening) and they are now saying that he will not be allowed to purchase any games using his prepaid Microsoft points until he is 18!!! Seriously????  How many 17 year olds want Mum buying their games for them with their Microsoft points??!!  Is this really the case??  What is the point of him  buying Microsoft points if he can't buy games - and please don't say to dress his Avatar which one representative suggested he do with £18 worth of points!!   At what age can a child buy age appropriate games with their prepaid Microsoft points.  I have set security settings limiting what games he can access.  He has an iPod and can spend his iTunes card on his own with no involvement from me at all (age limits have been set) so why is this so complicated??!?  Regretting having ever agreed to an xBox at  present!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey there Golf! Was he getting a specific error when trying to buy Minecraft? Can you tell me the wording of it so I can take a look?

My information is telling me that 13 is the age at which a child account can buy content unless otherwise specified by the parental account controls.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.