Astro A50 Headphones

Got a pair for Christmas.  Was just wondering if anybody else got a set?  I'm curious what your experience has been so far.  I was surprised at how bad they sound in Dolby 7.1 vs just stereo.  I'd  liked to hear other owners thoughts and experiences.  Thanks

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say how bad they sounded. I like my TB's, nice crisp highs, just the way I like it.

Turtle Beach =/= Astro.

They are 2 completely different products made by 2 completely different companies.

Yeah, I guess I did say bad..... I was trying to imply that the Dolby 7.1 sounds significantly worse than just running them in stereo.  Seem like less bass in 7.1 Dolby than stereo and there is definetly something off with the game voice (moderator).  I talked to a support guy today (actually I don't know what he was, his profile stated he was a "professional" gamer) and he said that he does not use the Astro's in Dolby 7.1 for gaming he just runs them in stereo.  Also, I'm going from a pretty decent surround sound system to headphones so my experience might be a little off.  I'm hoping to get some feedback from some other members that are using them.  Otherwise, no real complaints.  I like them, I'm just surprised at the 7.1 thats all.

Probably the audio "settings" need some tweeking. In BO2 there is also in game audio settings. Try tweeking those too, til you get it right.

Thanks for the reply Jmitchell.  One of the first things I do when I get a new game is to see what options are available in the audio settings and go mess with them.  On a side note, I enjoyed the audio "test" feature in B.O. II.  I think that what it boils down to is that coming from a decent surround sound set up (Dennon / KEF / other stuff) to headphones is just a bit of step backwards.  I just wanted to try them out as all of my friends are using some type of headphone and I've seen threads debating their "advantage".  Also, if a moderator sees this can you please move this threads to the A/V Hardware Forum?  Thanks.

Do they have a mix amp/equalizer? That may need some tweeking also. My cans arent expensive enough for mix amps though, LOL.

There is another thread with some sound hoar settings on here, great info.

The A50's seem to be a different "design" than Astros of the past (as far as I can tell).  The "mix amp" has been moved to the right ear cup.  I can chose from three pre-programed audio settings, then I can adjust the game chat vs. game volume up and down and there is is also a master volume.  The "mix amp" itself pretty much is just the "wireless" hub and it also has the Dolby 7.1 on/off button.  Again, I like the headphones it just not quite what I was expecting.  Like I said before, I think it has a lot to do with going from surround sound to headphones.  If I was going from getting game sound from my television to headphones I probably have a different opinion.  Here's an example, with the headphones I can tell left vs. right fairly easy (still not as good as true surround), but up or in some instances down can be difficult.  Somebodys gonna point out that I just stated the obvious so let me beat you to it :)

Yeah, sounds like a good pair you have invested in. Ill bet they just need some adjusting. I cant remember where but I have seen a vid about a competetive gamer showing his settings. He had different settings for comp games, different ones for pubs or doing coms, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check youtube for some stuff.