Assassin's Creed III dev says press gives a pass to Japanese games.

After reading this article, I agree.

Here is a bit;

"Just think about how many Japanese games are released where their stories are literally gibberish," he said. "There's no way you could write it with a straight face, and the journalists say, 'Oh it is brilliant.' Then Gears of War comes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time." 

While I think the story in the Gears franchise isn't great, I can totally see where he is coming from.  

What do you guys think? What Japanese games have an awesome story in your opinion?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yeah, an Assassin's Creed dev has the nerve to point a finger at anyone else for making a video game story that is complete "gibberish?"

Article should read "Pot calls kettle black."

^^ Haha, I was going to say something along those lines. Assassins Creed series is awful story-wise. I mean really awful.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Assassins Creed story is okay, Assassins creed 2 is my favorite.

It's true though, the worst part is some people do the same thing, ever play the tales series? the basic overlying story is usually good but then you get 10 year old kids as main characters and such its like WTF.

-

Dragons dogma is the same way, the game itself and the basic story ( dragon attacks) is awesome, but in the game basically a dragon steals your heart and your on a quest to get your heart back or something...

-

Still, story is one of the last things that matter in a game as long as it is fun and isn't over in 2 minutes its ok usually

Too bad his games are boring as all hell.

[quote user="brandiesel1"]
What do you guys think? What Japanese games have an awesome story in your opinion?[/quote] Depends on what you mean by story but:

Zelda:Majora's Mask

Okami!

ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X

Silent Hill 2

Catherine

Persona 4

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Metal Gear Solid

I hear a lot of good things about Nier

Lost Odyssey(Those 1000 years of memories.)

How does MM have a good story.  I think nostalgia is spreading.  You can't say it's a bad story b/c theres really no content to criticize.

[quote user="ICN3D"]

How does MM have a good story.  I think nostalgia is spreading.  You can't say it's a bad story b/c theres really no content to criticize.

[/quote] You're assuming that story is just about writing or cut-scenes. How about the way the game is theme?d The way it's portrayed in game-play? That's what games are about, right?

The despair, the perpetual tone, the broken world about to end, is all done well in the way it's presented to you.  There is a sense of loss and vanity whenever you restart the world, knowing that all the people you helped are reset and back to their miserable lives. They don't even remember or acknowledge what you did. Even though it becomes easier to cure the world after the dungeon completions, all that pain still remains till you break the cycle.

But it's worth it. Despite how the deplorable the situation is, you are Link! You are you. There becomes attachment to this world, to these characters, and you have the power to fix it.  You soothed the souls of the tormented, bring a couple back together as the are about to burn underneath the morning sky, and cure a father from turning into a monster.

And when you beat Majora, when you stop that moon for falling, it doesn't say " Dawn of the fourth day." No, it says, " Dawn of a New Day."

I think you're a little over zealous about it.  Either way, I think the 3D Zeldas are bad gameplay wise.  Sure, those that were young then think they're great, but it was hand holding to the extreme.  The 2D Zeldas didn't do that.  

[quote user="brandiesel1"]

. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time." 

[/quote][Mod Removed]