Article on the trilogy and the ending

Hi all,

One of the writers at UK gaming site Gamedot has written a feature on the Mass Effect trilogy and that ending. Check it out at http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2012/03/29/feature-mass-effect-the-trilogy-and-the-ending/ 

Please note there are spoilers, so be warned before entering.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="voteDC"]

This video is long but it is also very interesting and makes very good points about what is wrong with the ending.

-

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs]

[/quote]Hahaha @31:30 and at the end,the guy does what I did for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the comments on the article guys. Please spread the word if you know of anyone that maybe interested in reading it.

Cheers.

[quote user="voteDC"]

This video is long but it is also very interesting and makes very good points about what is wrong with the ending.

-

[/quote]

Watched the whole thing and enjoyed myself over it. I agree with say 95% of what he said especially when he covered how well the mission on tuchanka went compared to the ending.

There is a great line in the movie "The Core" in which one of the characters mentions that saving the world is too big a thing to get his head around and so he's focusing on saving just one person.

-

I think that fits perfectly into Mass Effect. Saving the galaxy from the Reapers is too big, you can't truly appreciate that immense toll. So what really makes the game work is the that you care about the characters you do know. You care about how Tali, Jack, Ashley, Kaidan, Garrus etc get through this and not the unknowable trillions.

-

I think that is what Bioware tried to do with vent-boy, give a close emotional investment but it failed because we didn't get to know that kid in the brief time he was on screen.

-

So the ending tried to be grand in scope but in doing so removed the emotional investment that people had built up with the characters, removing the reason we wanted to save the galaxy and stop the Reapers.

[quote user="voteDC"]

Ah well I love Star Trek but the point he was trying to make what that like Star Trek, the focus of Mass Effect was on its characters and that removing that connection hurts the ending.

[/quote]

I hear ya.

Does ME3 have a philosophical ending? Really? I just didn't see it. The collauge of crew members and Grandfather talking to the child after the credits didn't really mean anything, it can be at best described as ad-hoc. I still don't believe even the minds behind the game had any clear final resolution for this end of a trilogy. For instance when you beam upto the citadel and your greeted by the charnel house corridor with a couple of the Keepers doing whatever Keepers do, it peaked my interest but nothing comes of it, Sheperd doesn't even mention it. At points in the game I found cerburus to be my only real opponents and the Reapers didn't even factor in, not even as some great unknown fear looming over all of us that we just can not comprehend.

Ah well I love Star Trek but the point he was trying to make what that like Star Trek, the focus of Mass Effect was on its characters and that removing that connection hurts the ending.

^ Sorry, that video was boring and I hated Star Trek for the same reasons (boring and tried to be too philosophical)...and I hated the ending of Mass Effect 3 for the same reasons (boring and tried to be too philosophical).

Not a good example in which to make the case that the ending missed the mark.

-

I'll repost my comment to the article here.

[quote]

In regard to the endings of the first Mass Effect, save or let the council die, they changed depending on how you'd played.

The dialogue at the end was different depending on if you'd been a paragon or a renegade. Now true this wasn't a huge difference but it gave players a feeling that the way they'd played the game mattered.

On Mass Effect 2 this is also true. While it may have come down to destroy or save the Collector base, how you played the game defined how the events played out. Pick the wrong person or someone whose loyalty you didn't have, and they can be killed. You can even end the game with Shepard dying. Again it gave players a feeling that their choices mattered.

So for Mass Effect 3 to have an ending which played out the same no matter how you'd played it, or the previous two, was an extremely jarring experience and gave it a completely different tone to the endings of the previous two.

Was this Bioware's intention to make the tone different? Perhaps. What shouldn't have been different was the feeling that how you had played mattered.

[/quote]