Are we being Up-Dated to Death?

It seems as if every time I load a new or old game or at least once a week for Netflix,  there is a need to update.  As I am trying to keep my 60 GB system from becoming a commodore 64,  I wonder if anything can be done to keep these updates to a minimum.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

If you have alot of games (150+) than clearing the cache is a sure fire way to run into headaches...I dont understand why clicking "yes" is that big of an issue for you, but to each their own...If a game is running funny, then simply install it to the HDD or again...just update the title as by clearing the cache you ARE removing patches and fixes to your other titles so outside of an extreme circumstance of a corrupted save file you really have no need nor shouldnt be clearing the cache...even "for maintenance"

[quote user="ChickinOnaChain"]

I always wonder what it's updating.

[/quote]

Example clear your cache Load Borderlands cancel the update go to New Haven and check the 5 chest in town 2 of them will now be Red. The udate takes care of this bug among other more serious ones. You will also lose access to any DLC untill the game is updated.

The system cache will only hold 3 or 4 game updates per design from the 20gb HD days. If you play more then 3 or 4 games at a time. Anytime you play a game that is not in cache the update will remove the oldest update in cache of a first in first out basis, I don't think it checks game history to see that you may have just played the game. I personally clear cache every week or so as maintenance.

[quote user="ChickinOnaChain"]

[/quote]A game update takes care of bugs/glitches online or offline with patches or preps the game for new dlc. A system update typically adds new features, updates anti-piracy software, and may fix bugs.
Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

I'd just like to let you know, that when you clear the cache, everytime you boot up a game, it will ask you for an update. It should only do that once though.

[quote user="sebbong"]

clear system cache prob too full needs clearing

[/quote]

What he said. You need to clear your cache frequently (At least once every 3 months) if you played a lot of games.

One thing to take note, certain games (eg Fable 3) are unable to load a save file that have been created (after a update) if you cleared the cache. Make sure you re-download the update before attempting to load the save file.

My thoughts exactly. If you're getting updates that often (more specifically, any time you change to a different game/feature) then usually clearing the system cache helps sort that out.

If you are unsure of how to clear your cache, CLICK HERE. Hope this helps. Good luck.

clear system cache prob too full needs clearing