Are used games sales killing single-player games?

According to this guy, they are. It's a quick an interesting read. It makes some sense.  Here is a small sample of what he said.

"The real problem when you think about it brutally, if you look at just core gamer games, pre-owned has really killed core games," Braben said. "In some cases, it's killed them dead. I know publishers who have stopped games in development because most shops won't reorder stock after initial release, because they rely on the churn from the re-sales. I won't buy a preowned game out of principle."

Frontier Developments founder David Braben

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Used game sales are NOT killing single player games at all.  The true problem comes from a combination of this generation of gamers wanting EVERYTHING to be multiplayer, developers releasing broken or crappy games and last but not least, the modding community who pirate games.

^^ They are good points too. I don't think what he says is the whole reason, but I can see his point. I can see it having some impact on sp games.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

The problem with most single player games is replay value.  Most of them, you beat in 20 hours or less and are done with it.  Unless you are playing games like those in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, which can easily occupy you for 100+ hours of gameplay.

I can kind of see where he's coming from, but he doesn't spend a lot of time on the flipside of that coin other than saying, "... prices would have come down long ago..." (which I take with a grain of salt).

Something's got to give and with the way it's heading... 6 hour SP campaigns with attached $60 price tags... locked disc content that costs extra... same generic FPS multiplayer shooter released every year... I wouldn't be surprised if another video game crash was right around the corner. (just my opinion)

Used games sales have been around for years,  yet gaming still exists that guy is clearly talking out his a$$ as are these companies.

[quote user="CroutonCrusader"]

I can kind of see where he's coming from, but he doesn't spend a lot of time on the flipside of that coin other than saying, "... prices would have come down long ago..." (which I take with a grain of salt).

Something's got to give and with the way it's heading... 6 hour SP campaigns with attached $60 price tags... locked disc content that costs extra... same generic FPS multiplayer shooter released every year... I wouldn't be surprised if another video game crash was right around the corner. (just my opinion)

[/quote]I have to agree with you here the video game industry is heading for a major crash and soon. With the rumors of $70 games and no used games for next gen. People are going to stop taking chances on games and only buy the ones they are sure of. The people I feel sorry for the most are kids, most parents buy their kids used games. I can see a lot of kids getting a heck of a lot less games.

Greg.

P.S. be prepaired to see developers fold left and right if the romurs are true!

The reason people don't buy single player games is because they are too short, i mean who wants to pay £40 ($60) for a game that takes 6-8 hours to finish when you can just rent it for a week for like £5

[quote user="WhiTeYxM"]

The reason people don't buy single player games is because they are too short, i mean who wants to pay £40 ($60) for a game that takes 6-8 hours to finish when you can just rent it for a week for like £5

[/quote]

This is a big reason why I don't buy as many games as I used too. After getting burned on Rage and The Darkness 2 I'll buy less.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

[quote user="brandiesel1"]

[quote user="WhiTeYxM"]

[/quote]

This is a big reason why I don't buy as many games as I used too. After getting burned on Rage and The Darkness 2 I'll buy less.

[/quote]I started up Gamefly and BlockBuster for this very reason. So far they sent me 8 games and only 1 was worth playing.

Thank god I was heavy into mmorpg's they saved me a ton of money over the years. But now I am burned out on them and started gaming again.I guess I will be sticking to rentals and only buying the games I am sure of and even then I will probbaly wait for player reviews.

Greg

Here are the last 6 games I bought new. Skyrim, Dark Souls, The Darkness 2, Rage, Shadows of the Damned, R.E O.R.C. Only Skyrim and Dark Souls were worth the price tag because I got so many hours out of each and they are the 2 best games I have played this gen. Shadows of the Damned was worth it because I got it for 14.99 new and I played thru it 3 times. The other games weren't worth full retail prices.

Also forgot Synicate. I bought it new and while it is a good game, I finished it up quick and got bored of it.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!