Are Used Games bad for the industry?

I just encountered this article and figured it might make a worthwhile discussion.

http://n4g.com/news/847836/are-used-games-hurting-the-industry

Come on guys, give me something to think about before I have to go work th midnight launch for Gears. :P

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Used games are good for comsumers but very bad for developers and publishers. Dev's dont make any money off the used games being sold, traded-in, and re-sold again

It allows consumers who are weary of a purchase to buy a game for a cheaper cost, increasing the total amount of people giving their games a try to the point that they might be excited for the next game in the series or just another game by that developer day one.

-

Then again they don't get as much money as they could to build better games. It's double edged sword, and it will be very hard to weigh to pros/cons enough to figure out whether it's good or bad. I believe it is acceptable.

Bobby Kotick actually approves of used game sales. They found out that the used game market gives people the capacity to buy more new releases.

That is true. Very rare, a truth coming out of that mouth.

My thoughts exactly, lol.

It's funny how the companies who complain about used game sales are some of the most profitable in the industry *cough* EA *cough*. I think the used game issue has been blown out of porportion.

It's ridiculous. 60% of trade ins are to buy new games.

Fun fact.

Absolutely not...Most of the games I buy used are games that I would never buy new, or spend a lot of money on. I'm going to buy games that I like as soon as they come out regardless.

That's actually a common practice.

They always find a way to make it up.