Are people only delaying the inevitable?

Digital format will eventually be the only format which leaves physical discs to phase out for good and besides, having it all on the HDD is a whole lot better and faster than stored in a disc. Yeah, I know the HDD may crash/error, but so can the same happen to a disc (aka: losing the data).

-

The portable handhelds of Nintendo and Sony both use cards which might be a sign in the right direction (better use cards than discs). Sony should've also used cards instead of UMDs for PSP back then.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here is the question though. Would console gaming be able to survive without the retail market? I mean I can't think of a single digital game to ever do as well as a Halo, Gears or Call of Duty. Not even close.

The digital format game "MineCraft Xbox 360 Edition" sold three million copies or more.

-

uk.gamespot.com/.../minecraft-xbox-360-sells-3-million-6388006

-

I know, the game was already known from PC and thus far its popularity and success on the 360, but regardless, for a digital game it was a complete success.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

Here is the question though. Would console gaming be able to survive without the retail market? I mean I can't think of a single digital game to ever do as well as a Halo, Gears or Call of Duty. Not even close.

[/quote]

If you could only buy those games digitally they would have sold as many.

I can't see digital only happening anytime soon to be honest.  

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I agree. If I'm going to pay $60 for something, call me crazy but I want something physical. Yeah anything can happen but it is always nice to be able to put the disc in and play from that.

I would hate digital only tbh. Brick and mortar all the way.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Unless my thinking is wrong here, wouldn't digital only games be cheaper? The companies don't have to produce discs anymore and everything would be stored on servers so why wouldn't it cost less if that were to happen?

I expect the next Xbox and PS4 will have a disc and a downloadable version of that game when they release.

Also if it HDD does crash if MS do what they did this gen and allow to re-download it that should be a fix, or you could always put it on another USB or something, the only issue is them taking it away if they shut down the service, which could be a major issue.

If anyone here uses steam there was a problem a while back that if you didn't accept the new terms and conditions you would lose all your games.

Yeah, if things went completely digital, I'm done.

But that won't happen for a while. I don't want to sit there for over an hour downloading a game.

[quote user="Pyramid Head15"]

Yeah, if things went completely digital, I'm done.

But that won't happen for a while. I don't want to sit there for over an hour downloading a game.

[/quote]

It would have t be a time where broadband speeds can do this stuff before everyone goes digital only.

[quote user="a grim forecast"]

Unless my thinking is wrong here, wouldn't digital only games be cheaper? The companies don't have to produce discs anymore and everything would be stored on servers so why wouldn't it cost less if that were to happen?

[/quote]

Why don't they cost less, already?

GoD prices, over Live, are ridiculous...even for some old games. Apart from regular sales, digital versions of new release games on STEAM often cost just as much as their disc-based versions.

Digital only won't make games any cheaper, especially in walled gardens, like Live.