are multiplayer only games the future?

at least two of the biggest games coming out lack any traditional offline single player mode, titanfall and destiny, and a potential other two games that will mix the single player and multiplayer in the division and watch_dogs...will offline games become a rarity? ps3 has already tried multiplayer only with MAG and warhawk, but those weren't nearly as big publicly as titanfall and destiny. and of course if/when these games succeed, i'm sure we'll see other devs try to capture that magic sotospeak...

i wonder if there might be a point in time when call of duty becomes a multiplayer/single player hybrid as well...that might be the death knell of the budding genre.  

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hope not.

-

I've been enjoying the heck out of Mario 3D World despite I've died more times than I should because the game towards the end (Extra Final World) gets considerably hard, plus, playing the stages again with the 5 characters to get the last stamps is gonna be kind of a pain.. But well, I wanna get a perfect score on it.

-

There's still Sonic Lost World which I didn't bother to get the Red Rings due to always falling off the walls (never figured how to parkour properly on this game).

-

By the way, although Mighty No. 9 isn't with Mega Man that's close enough and Smash 4 features Mega Man so that's pretty damn awesome.

I doubt it. I dont think gamers will tolerate all games being MP only.

I don't think MP only will be the way of the future, I mean if you can't even make a console that way I doubt majority of devs would turn to it.

-

However I do think single player games will start seeing more online integration and hopefully in the creative kind of way Dark Souls did.

Hope not . Some Devs want to force MP merging it with solo because want everybody to be online and i hope that not end being the future. Is ok in one or two games but in all games not IMHO.

Ubi had a hard time when released AC 4 because the game had some features in singleplayer that can only be accessed while online and had to reconsider so they get rid of the ridiculous Uplay passport and promised to not do that again because gamers complained about it.

As long as gamers stop supporting that new strategies to promote DRM etc i can bet MP only  is not the future .

This topic is really quite silly. Yeah, there are some big games coming out soon that are multiplayer based. There are also big games coming out that are single player only. Does that beg the question that single player games are the future? Obviously not. Different games are going to come out that cater to different preferences. Always. Period.

[quote user="Bad Instincts"]Some Devs want to force MP merging it with solo because want everybody to be online and i hope that not end being the future. Is ok in one or two games but in all games not IMHO.[/quote]If it is implemented correctly, being offline from said "hybrid" games will not alter gameplay. Case and point is the game everyone already knows I'm going to mention.

Single player games are most definitely not going to disappear. Following the blockbuster successes of games like Skyrim and GTA: V, it's here to stay and strong.

Both the single player and multiplayer market are very successful, and one will not overtake the other. However, it makes sense for Microsoft and Sony to try and get multiplayer games out the door asap for the Xbox One and PS4 so they can advertise playing with friends so you must purchase their respective premium subscriptions.

One of the main selling points for video games nowadays (to me, anyway) is the story.  Some of the best games I've played in the past 5-10 years had one hell of a story going for it.  I fear that in a game 100% based on multiplayer, a story will be totally lost, and it just becomes mindless run & gun killing.

Multiplayer will get boring and tedious if you overplay it, much like too much of anything. A balance is definitely needed.

I'm all for some games being multiplayer or single player only because some games don't need the single player or multiplayer experience. Don't get me wrong I would love to have as much content on a disc as possible, but some games really don't need SP or MP. 

Not in my future...Singleplayer will always be my main feature with online or local co-op being my second love...if games ever went to online matchmaking style only than that's when i will quit buying newer consoles although the chances of that are slim with the demand for the different style of games is widely known.