Are linear games so bad?

Sometimes I hear how "Linear" is a bad word for a game yet I find some of the best game experiences ARE the ones that are linear. I find Open-world games lacking in structure, too many diversions, and I find the narrative weaker for that. Yes, its an  opinion but I would also like to hear others thoughts on this.

See,  I like all sorts of games and for many different reasons. I find story to be really important because simply put I like a good story. Or at least good writing. Some of my favorite games have been mostly linear. Bioshock? Portal? Silent Hill? Final fantasy? How about Max Payne? Maybe Alan Wake?

Uncharted was pretty good. The Darkness was too. Batman Arkham Asylum? Sure, their is exploration in some of these games but that does not equal open-world like Skyrim or a Grand Theft Auto title.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Being a linear game dosen't take away the fact that the game is awesome.

Depends.  For FF it was terrible.   Nott all games need to be open world.

I prefer more open games.

But I dont think that it can always make them "bad"

I prefer linear games over open world. Most open world games I find the story doesn't flow very well, or I it's filled with endless repetitive tasks and that get old extremely fast. Borderlands was the last real open world game that I liked even though there really was no story but the gameplay made up for it.

It all depends on the game.  There's a time and place for everything.

[quote user="Lactos292"]

[/quote]

This pretty much nails it ^^

[quote user="Lactos292"]

[/quote] Can't argue with that. 

I will say though, that being overtly-linear is bad. Final Fantasy XIII. Its been beaten to death but that game didn't even try masking how linear it was.

I really don't think that the "Open World" genre has even gotten passed the point of the tip of the iceberg. GTA obviously laid the foundation and built the frame, but even GTA still doesn't have it down. It's just like any other invention. Someone dedicates a great deal of time to just give that idea life and there's not always time for the original creator to really go with that idea and expand upon it because they might get busy with other projects. It takes someone else to come along with a fresh take on it to further shape it and continue the evolution. Crafting a story for an Open World game has got to be a challenge. You have all of your settings ready to go, but then, you need to figure out ways of tying everything together.

depend of the genre IMO.

I like both.