Are infections like viruses?

I was just playing Call of Duty 4.

I had just finished one game then instead of the usual intermission the next game started almost instantly.

Then once the game started everyone was moving really fast including myself. After realising I was in a modded game I panicked and exited the game.

I was only in the game a few seconds before exiting it.

I realise now that I should have turned my console off instead of exiting out of the game.

What I want to know is could my profile now be infected as well?

Are these mod infections like viruses?

I'm worried that my profile may now be infected and i'm also worried that a might get banned off live because of it.

If they are like viruses then how can I tell if my profile is infected?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It will not affect other games or your profile its not like a pc virus.check your score on cod4 if its in the minus figure you have been de-ranked if you continue to play actively using the infections you could get banned but the only way to tell if you are infected is to play so the choice is yours.start a game of multiplayer and press the start button as soon as match starts,if just the standard pause menu appears then you are not still infected anything else you are and should dashboard and not bother playing it anymore as its risking a ban.

[quote user="THEOWENKILLER"]

It will not affect other games or your profile its not like a pc virus.check your score on cod4 if its in the minus figure you have been de-ranked if you continue to play actively using the infections you could get banned but the only way to tell if you are infected is to play so the choice is yours.start a game of multiplayer and press the start button as soon as match starts,if just the standard pause menu appears then you are not still infected anything else you are and should dashboard and not bother playing it anymore as its risking a ban.

[/quote]

Thanks.

So if the start menu looks normal i'm ok?

Would I or any friend playing also see those annoying coloured messages on the screen if i'm infected?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the pause menu looks normal.

im not sure about the coloured messages again i think this is something you have to actively use its part of the clan tag,eg rain , ttg ,easy is god etc.

Quick question: How exactly do you become infected? I thought you had to be in a private match with one of those people.

[quote user="Malacath"]

I was just playing Call of Duty 4.

I had just finished one game then instead of the usual intermission the next game started almost instantly.

Then once the game started everyone was moving really fast including myself. After realising I was in a modded game I panicked and exited the game.

I was only in the game a few seconds before exiting it.

I realise now that I should have turned my console off instead of exiting out of the game.

What I want to know is could my profile now be infected as well?

Are these mod infections like viruses?

I'm worried that my profile may now be infected and i'm also worried that a might get banned off live because of it.

If they are like viruses then how can I tell if my profile is infected?

[/quote]

Infections are not exactly like viruses.

I don't know exactly how they work, but they probably run on the same principle as modding game code with a Gameshark.

My guess is that these infections are altered versions of the normal multiplayer game processes. These normal processes are actively loaded into RAM when playing COD4 and handle everything from player-host communication to the actual MP gameplay elements.

When you connect with a host who is transmitting an infection, these regular processes get overwritten with the infection processes. Thus, the process that governs "Sprint speed = 1.5 normal speed" is changed to "Sprint speed = 4.5 normal speed". Also, the regular player-host process gets changed so your Xbox can transmit infections when you host a game.

However, these altered processes are stuck in RAM. They can't be burnt to the game disc or written to the hard drive. That's why simply dashboarding and relaunching the game fixes the problem. The game is loaded out of RAM, and when relaunched, the normal processes are loaded back into RAM from the disc.

The old Gamesharks for N64 cartriges worked in a similar manner. The Gameshark would intercept normal game code from the cartridge, replace it with altered code, and then send that code to the N64. Same basic idea.

Really the only way u can get an infection is if u join a private match with some1 who has 1. Then u have to go into a split screen game and start it. If u dashboard or shut off the xbox u lose ur infections and have to re-get them. I heard 2 people talking about them in a game once and the kid was offering them to people, so i reported him and left. Thank god there is a patch coming :)

i wanted to re buy cod4 and get playing again all this has put me off

No your fine.

Infections are gained from a modded xbox called a jtag wish is made to tun unsigned code (Hacks/mods) your account isn't infected your fine.

Infections are from joining mod lobbies. You must join them on purpose, and you will get permabanned once you get reported enough.

yes they are.