Are 2d sidescrollers making a comeback?

2d sidescrollers, especially platformers, have always been fun but game developers have been mostly focused on 3d fps games in recent years.After playing Terrarria for 2 days I  was reminded how great 2d games can be.With so many big 3d franchises like COD and Assasins Creed out there is the market big enough for these retro game styles to be successful.? Is it possible we could see a 2d sidescroller break 1 million sales? Which ones would you like to see and which ones could become huge sellers?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't see 2D side scrollers making a big comeback anytime soon. There can be successful fun ones, yes. I enjoy them too. I just do not see them taking the market by storm at all. Especially not with the current gaming crowd, where trying to be as realistic looking as possible sells.

They've certainly made a comeback.

"Deathsmiles 2", "Akai Katana!", "Dodonpachi Ressurection" and "Under Defeat: HD Edition" represent some of the best games on the 360.

Az

not really. the only difference now is indie games have more of a mainstream scene, many indie games are 2d like that.

How can they make a comeback when they use 2d platformers to sell Wii consoles? They didn't go anywhere, people just want less of them overall.

we will see.if terraria is a big seller we should see more of these titles.I know castlevania did pretty well

I doubt it will. The Noob Minecrafters will complain it's not in 3D and go back to Minecraft.

You guys realize that Terraria came out on Steam a few years ago and it's very popular right?

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

You guys realize that Terraria came out on Steam a few years ago and it's very popular right?

[/quote]I know what Terraria is. My friend is nuts about it. But I believe that the Minecraft converts that came in droves from Call of Duty will not "deal with" 2D side scrolling.

If anyone got this game because they think its like minecraft they havent done their research.Terrarria is more like Super Mario brothers or Castlevania.It has mining.yes but the game is a platformer.

Um, Mario anyone?