Archery / Bow Distance Limitation

It is pretty well known by now that Bethesda has placed a range limit on archery and spells, meaning if you try to shoot an enemy who is more than "X" feet away, your arrow will simply disappear before it hits him, or it will pass right through the target without doing any damage.  I have tested this over and over, and the real issue is that the range limit is not very far!  I was shooting at a Mammoth from about 70 yards away, and I sat there shooting arrow after arrow right through him.

Does anyone else find this unnecessary?  I would understand if it applied to spells, as their energy could dissipate over time and space, but a physical object like an arrow should not just disappear!  It is difficult enough to hit targets from a long range, so I don't see why they had to add this safeguard to avoid exploiting the combat system.  I wish that Bethesda would at least extend the range of the arrows, if not remove the limitation completely.

What really sucks is that people playing on PCs can easily fix this by changing a line of code, whereas us XBOX players have to deal with this silly programming choice.  Does anyone know of a solution for console gamers?  Or do you think Bethesda might address this in one of their patches?  I am doubtful of the latter, b/c it seems like Bethesda chooses to ignore any issues that have been resolved by the PC modding community.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Swords, yo.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

Swords, yo.

[/quote]

Haha, that is 1 solution.  I actually have my one-handed skills up to 100, but I prefer using my bow.  It's more fun IMO, and requires more skill.

Sort of requires more skill... the game automatically compensates for distance itself, unfortunately. I prefer the way Oblivion handled it.

I don't know how long the range is but if it's actually hindering players from being able to hit things they can target, well.... that's not ideal. Might be worth mentioning on the official Bethesda Forums, though I don't know where they can be found.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

Sort of requires more skill... the game automatically compensates for distance itself, unfortunately. I prefer the way Oblivion handled it.

I don't know how long the range is but if it's actually hindering players from being able to hit things they can target, well.... that's not ideal. Might be worth mentioning on the official Bethesda Forums, though I don't know where they can be found.

[/quote]

What do you mean the game automatically compensates for distance?  If you mean that all you have to do is aim at your target to hit it from any distance, that is incorrect.  The arrow follows an arch, and gravity also plays a factor.  That is to say, targets that are very close you can aim directly at, targets at medium range you have to aim below, and targets at long distances you have to aim above.  And if it is really far away it might even hit the ground before it reaches them, unless you aim even higher.

"If you mean that all you have to do is aim at your target to hit it from any distance, that is incorrect".

Last time I played, though that hasn't been for a while, that was the case. You did have to have the bow drawn to the maximum degree (but who wouldn't?) but otherwise you didn't have to lead it up a target, unless you were at obscene ranges.

I can hit targets much much much further than 70 yards. I have taken down giants so far away to the point I can barely see them. It took me a while to get my aim down that far away though. My reticle was no where near the target.

I have never found a range obstacle so long as I could see my target and i have hit some pretty small targets at long range. It does take careful aiming though so I have also missed some at long range. If you want to test the arrows path go find an archery butt somewhere or shoot arrows into a dead bear at various distances.

Really, there's a limit on range? Don't tell my archer. Many of her targets are man sized or less at ranges she has to wait for movement to detect their location. She may miss once or twice at those ranges but soon hears the satisfying sound of a hit (that singlr drum beat?). Often the creature can't detect her after being struck.

As for 70 yards, I'd say most people are just getting warmed up at that range. That's a sweet range insde buildings as I hit from across the room or down a hall. Are you sure you're you're just not practiced enough and they're actually missing? I know for me the aroow can travel so far I can't see it anymore but it still hits the target or at least smacks a wall behind. Try hitting walls and rocks at different ranges.

There have been quite a few times I was this close to hitting a dragon that was just a little too far away on a roof. I guess they have to do something to make the game not too easy, though.

Just shoot at an archery target in a fort. Bullseyes at 6 different distances takes some time to perfect. If I'm missing at a great distance it's because I'm really missing. You couldn't expect to shoot across the canyon with the same accuracy as shooting down to the road of that canyon. Most of my shots as of lately have been realistically accurate, but then again I have enchants and a skill of 98 with a Flaming Ebony Bow.