Anyone running their XBL over power in-line adapters?

Just wanted to see if any of the gamers here are running their XBL connection via power in-line adapters, and if so, is it worth the time/money to upgrade to the HD version; or am I still going to be at the mercy of my ISP connection?

As some background info, running a cable ISP (15MB d/l, I believe) through some Netgear in-line adapters to my XBOX, which is DMZ'd in my all-in-one modem/router.  I can't run CAT5/6 and wireless is spotty (although, haven't tried N-router/connections)

Mind you, I have no real complaints against the game or my connection, but when someone is running appliances in the kitchen, my connection gets dropped as the kitchen outlets and my XBOX are all on the same internal power line.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any comments/information, and can't wait to try out some of these new maps...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

[quote user="Doctor Mirage"]am I still going to be at the mercy of my ISP connection[/quote]

Any networking equipment, routers, patch cables, wireless devices, etc.. will always be at the mercy of the ISP's pipe to your house.

There are ways to improve the connection internally, and there are some minor dns changes you may make on the router to speed up things like web browsing. 

I brought some powerline adapters home to test with to see if it would be better than my wireless connection and they weren't.  I eventually ran the patch cable which is pretty cheap from monoprice.com . However, I understand from your post you are not able to run patch cable. 

Do you have the slim or older model 360?  

Zero:

Thanks for the quick reply!  To answer your question, I have an older 360 elite (only 40GB HDD, I believe).  I didn't think of it before, but I guess upgrading the console to the "slim" might also be a step in the right direction?

Regardless, if there are some network settings that you may know about, outside of the basic ones to get XBL up-and-running, I would definitely like to know about those!

Thanks again!

You can always buy them from bestbuy and if they don't work out the usually let you take them back. Anyways I use to have an older set of powerline ethernet adapters (they were only 85mbps) that use to work fine but after several years I started getting disconnects. I bought a newer set from bestbuy the rockectfish brand (500mbps) ones that has a built in four port switch and haven't had any problems. I might add that I'm currently just running my 360 wirelessly because I have other devices running from the the adapter but I never had any problems after buying a better adaptor. Needless to say I know they have better ones than that now. Also with my old pair if something else was plugged into the same outlet as the adapter I would get lag or disconnects and with the new ones I could have other things running off the same outlet without problems.

[quote user="Doctor Mirage"]I have an older 360 elite (only 40GB HDD, I believe).  I didn't think of it before, but I guess upgrading the console to the "slim" might also be a step in the right direction?[/quote]

Slims come with an N adapter built in but the wireless N adapter works just as well with the older models.   What is the model of the router?