Anyone find the "device" needed for the mechanism in the Glacial Ruins?

After going through the Glacial Ruins and all of its sub-sections, I reached the end with the big mechanical "boss" in the Cathedral area.  After defeating him, I looted him for the key that gets you out of the dungeon, but I noticed there is some sort of Dwemer mechanism that can be activated for some purpose.  I keep getting a message that I don't have the right device.  Just wondering if it was something I missed inside, or if I may end up finding it elsewhere in Skyrim.  Did anyone manage to unlock it?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I haven't came across it yet, no doubt it's in another of those Dwemer ruins. I wonder what it does.

If you are just exploring the ruins then don't worry about it yet.  If you were sent there on a quest to do something specific then you may need to find the item.  My experience has been that if you need to do it now, there will be a white indicator thingy on it already.

I have been there on a quest and did activate that thing but can't remember if I was given the item needed or if I found it.  You may be given that item by the person who gives you the quest if you just happen to be exploring that ruin on your own.

If it's the same one as in Mzinchaleft, or if that's the place you're talking about, there is a quest for the dark brotherhood and falkreth misc quests. Not sure what it does though, as I was confused too.

found another dwemer ruins, definatly a different one, with same mechanical titan at the end, and a device that requires a key near him, i assumed it was for a quest.

the dwemer mechanisms are entrances to blackreach. but i do not know how to get into them either. blackreach is a massive underground city with many sections and tons of phat lootz. look it up on skyrim wikia

[quote user="Apollyon7x"]

the dwemer mechanisms are entrances to blackreach. but i do not know how to get into them either. blackreach is a massive underground city with many sections and tons of phat lootz. look it up on skyrim wikia

[/quote]You have to open them from blackreach the first time.

Play though the main quest guys. You'll eventually have to go down there. There's something awesome down there I'm not going to spoil as well as a quest that references a side quest you might remember from Oblivion.

You get the key during the main quest guys. Don't worry

It's part of the main quest and also the daedric quest for hermaeus mora. To start the quest for the daedric prince, travel to winterhold and go NNW of the college. You will find a place called septimus signus' outpost and talk to septimus inside. You CAN start it at level 1 but to complete the daedric quest you must be at level 15 before he tells you what you need to do next.