Anyone else use "Hearthfire" as an excuse to houseclean?

After 264 hours and 77 levels, my character has a lot of crap laying around the world.  After building a house (Lakeview Manor), and furnishing it, I'm thinking I'll use this as an excuse to get rid of stuff I know I won't need, then transfer stuff I want to keep to the new place:

-All my unique trophy weapons and sets of armor

- All Soul Gems, crafting materials, and ingredients

- Any double enchantment rings, necklaces, and circlets that I made for situational use

I think what I'd do is try to keep stuff better organized after it's been moved.  Keep crafting materials out in the chest by the workbench and grindstone (I'm going to buy a ton of ingots with money from the gear I sell off), put ingredients in the alchemy lab, etc.  Are there any bugs with storage that I'm not aware of, regarding the house in Hearthfire?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I own every property possible in Skyrim. The only bug that I know of is keeping stuff on tables. Decorations if you will. Every other object that I still have from way back when is still in the very same place. I would upgrade my bows and swords every chance and still have "Purifire" on a weapons rack in Breezehome. It's a "Hunting Bow" that I picked up leaving Helgen. Later to be enchanted with fire damage. Really amazing when I compare it to my Daedric "Soulfire II" that does 110 fire damage while steeling your soul for my gems. Purifire did a whopping 32 damage.

So aside from forgetting were things are, I'd just say plan carefully before doing anything. There is very little changing after you make the choice.

The only things that have ever bothered me about the three Hearthfire houses is that they will sometimes reset especially if you haven't been there in a while. Nothing you place is messed with but the things you removed or such will come back and if you placed something in the same spot it will probably knock your stuff on the floor. It will also close the doors. This can disrupt the spawning of bees and butterflies in your greenhouse. I usually just quit removing the cast iron pots and wooden plates though I hate looking at them. Don't put anything in the long box under the shield plaque in the back room of the main house because the wooden plates and bowls will reappear

As for storage, I have never had any trouble with any storage in any house. The manikin in the upper gallery of the main room should not be dressed until you are sure you know what you want because if you change it it will revert some pieces back to what you first put on them. I don't recall that happening in the armory but every house has a quirk with the main room manikin. If you are unaware of it, all manikins walk when you are not looking and some things just don't want to stay put. They may eventually fall through the floor if you don't pick them up. Dreamstride and some of the claws are really bad about that. I think that must be what happened to my Krosis.

I always organize my storage with smithing stuff outside, and like stuff with like. Eventually I get lazy but I try to keep unenchanted weapons separate from enchanted, ditto armor. I keep enchanted and unenchanted clothes and jewelry upstairs in my bedroom in separate furniture.

I've used the mannequin upstairs in the Hearthfire home to duplicate rare armor items.

I must have OCD or something, because once I started moving things, I couldn't stop.  Emptied Proudspire out and carted it all to Lakeview (selling junk along the way).  That cellar with the forge and other upgrade stations is incredible.  I've been squirreling away upgrade materials to use later.

Indeed they are good for that and I really wish I had put Krosis on one of them. I put Morokai on one with the archmage robes and now can get as many as I want but Krosis seems to be gone.

The glitch does wipe enchantments too, so I don't know how safe it is for stuff like the masks.

That's funny. I tried with the Masks once before and it was different for me. Some of the Mannequins won't take a helmet or mask while others will. I've never got any of my enchanted items to reproduce though. Lakeview Manor cellar and Heljarchen Armory are the only ones that are duplicating this time around. Unfortunately I put Ancient Armor on the one at Lakeview. It would be cool if you knew in advance which one was going to do it.

i don't use the masks but like their look with some items so if I could duplicate it, then I could use the original  for the quest...if I still had a complete set of course.

The upper level mannequin, at Lakeview when I did it regularly on a previous character, was the only one that did it for me. It would create a second, enchantment wiped set of armor every time.

Haven't tried again on my current character, who lives in the manor on the mount overlooking Whiterun.

"It would create a second, enchantment wiped set of armor every time".

Fascinating... something to keep in mind for the future. I don't like how the mannequins refuse to display what you want but stripping enchantments off a unique item you want to use would be immensely useful.