Annoying Feature

Is it possible to stop my xbox from restarting when I turn of my TV? Because I always turn of my TV, then my xbox and sometimes when I turn my TV and xbox off slow enough my xbox stays on because it restarted.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

This happens to me because I run HDMI with a knock off product i bought for my turtle beach headphones (which require A/V cables). Not a huge deal, I can turn off my system without seeing the dashboard with the controller, or I walk up and press the power button.

Not sure why this is happening to you, though.

Oh, so it might be because we're using both the AV cables and the HDMI cable?

Heh, I broke that huge piece of plastic off around the AV port and wrapped it up with electrical tape so I could fit the HDMI cable and still use my headset. Saved a buck.

Use Component instead of HDMI.

Otherwise check your TV settings and see if there is a setting that will allow you to change how the HDMI functions operate.

And the AV cable and HDMI together shouldn't make a difference. I did that all the time on my old system to get it running through my old surround system. It's more likely your TV at fault.

Okay, I'll check my TV's settings next time I turn it off.

If you take the AV cable out does the TV still restart the Xbox 360?

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]Oh, so it might be because we're using both the AV cables and the HDMI cable?

Heh, I broke that huge piece of plastic off around the AV port and wrapped it up with electrical tape so I could fit the HDMI cable and still use my headset. Saved a buck.[/quote]

...and caused yourself this problem. You've connected two video-capable cables at the same time, and HDMI's HDCP negotiation is somehow coming into play. Use the official HDMI audio adapter and your problem will go away. (Others have said that 3rd-party versions still have the problem because they don't have quite the correct settings, but I have no idea.)

Yep, you will need the official HDMI AV adaptor.

*** that. I'd rather have to hit my power button twice than give in and buy a feature that should already be there.