Animation > Graphics

There, I said it.

After looking at this

and this
, I can't help but feel like animation will always beat high end graphics. While graphics can enhance the look of the game, it can only do so much if al the characters look like robots with little life in them. The simple animations of characters can bring them to life.

And of the character you control too. Simple auto animations like stuff you see in AC where Ezio gently pushes people out of the way or bumps into and shoves them out of the way when running. I want to see way more of that and to improve since I feel that it should take a higher priority over extra shading.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

yeah, animation looks better, but it's different. when i think animation i think of a game where you do something and it basically shows a quick video clip to show whats happening as opposed to your self doing it. I see what u mean and i for one see the good in it. although it could feel a little unvoluntary and maybe out of control.

Id rather have the focus on graphics right now with ofcourse them still putting emphasis in the animations and getting it right.

Animation is great.

I also want to add that Art Style > Graphics

Extra Credits did a series about this, they usually cover some pretty good concepts.

www.escapistmagazine.com/.../3201-Graphics-vs-Aesthetics

[quote user="DanteSparda504"]

Animation is great.

[/quote]

Animation is great.

[/quote]

Yeah. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is still one of the best looking games around if you ask me.

[quote user="bentleyma"]

Animation is great.

[/quote]

Yeah. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is still one of the best looking games around if you ask me.

[/quote]

I completely agree.

Skyward Sword also looks absolutely beautiful. I am really looking forward to seeing it in person when it launches.

I would rather have both than one over the other.

id take 8 bit mario over most the games today

After seeing those vids now I keep thinking about Episode 3...again.

Yep, animation will always trump graphics imo. Doesn't matter how many polygons you can shove into a small space or render, but if you can't move them believably, all the tech loses its luster. Games like LA Noire and Half Life that have great animation will always be more near and dear to me compared to graphical marvels like Battlefield 3 or Gears of War.