Anders Breivik.

The prosecution in this trial is drawing attention to games for damaging his psychology and blaming Anders Breivik's religious ideology for making him murderous.  Apparently he played a lvl 85 WoW character called Justicar.  He was interested in the Knights Templar apparently and is very good at expressing himself so they're pointing toward that being a character flaw aswell.  We all know it's the social and cultural problems in Europe that he's fighting and he got it wrong because he tried too hard, maybe, but being an ordinary plebian he would have been ignored if he didn't.  Anyway get ready for people saying violent games are bad and demanding games that have a lower intellectual entrypoint specifically because of Anders.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Templar Boe"]

Yes it does, the large influx of people into Europe who want *** all to do with it beyond economic gain or worse to propagate religions with dogma akin to ours as it was five hundred years ago.

[/quote]

And this justifies mass murder of innocents because? 

Yes it does, the large influx of people into Europe who want *** all to do with it beyond economic gain or worse to propagate religions with dogma akin to ours as it was five hundred years ago.

[quote user="Kinectimal"]

I don't see why he just didn't kill himself.. If he had such a problem with everything, he could have just taken himself out of the equation. Shoot, he didn't even kill himself after his little spree which is what like, 99% of mass murderers do. I think that he thought he could get away with it, to be honest.

[/quote]Homicidal urges and suicidal urges are two different things. Anyway the way I see it is hit them with numbers. If one million people buy a game and only one of them goes on a rampage can you really blame the game? At the end of the day with or without playing games it boils down to something deeper going on. 

As I've said now we can expect all of the concerned parents and media watchdog lobby groups along with any politician who wants a point to tell us that games are a dangerous business and we should only really be playing card games but not those ones with pictures on.

[/quote]

Not going to have any substantial effect. MW2 got away with the Airport Massacre level, so WoW will likely get away with having had Anders Breivik as one of its players. This reminds me of back when gamers were going ballistic every time Jack Thompson opened his mouth. How big of a dent has that crusading clown put in artistic expression within the gaming industry?

You do not kill because you're trained or because you want to, you kill because you lack the natural psychological barriers that would otherwise stop you, even if killing was your wish. Games don't make killers, those people are already born or turned into machines with that predisposition, and they may turn to games for their potential to provide them with more intense emotional experiences than other forms of entertainment.

Correlation does not imply causation, and never confuse cause and effect.

Why do you keep focusing on WoW when that's the most laughable claim? He also said he specifically played MW2 for target practice. At least that claim makes some sense given the fact that it's a murder sim based on realistic weapons and situations. Are you intentionally avoiding that game or do you have really amatuer news outlets where you live? Seems really weird to me.

It's obvious to any intelliegent person that his hardcore religious beliefs, xenophobia and extreme right wing political beliefs are what lead to his lunacy. Games is just a scapegoat. Don't give this excuse any credibility by acting like it might be possible, it's not.

Btw here's a qoute from the idiot-

"(For) example, tell them that you have started to play 'World of Warcraft' or any other online MMO game and that you wish to focus on this for the next months/year. This 'new project' can justify isolation and people will understand somewhat why you are not answering your phone over long periods."

Seems pretty obvious that even he knows WoW had nothing to do with it.

As predicted, WoW has been given quite a lot of prominance with regard to the influence Anders allowed it to have on him before he committed his crimes.  I'm sure the prosecution are trying to make him look insane or to reduce the impact of his ideological beliefs by making him look childish but today they spent quite a lot of time talking about how he played and slept while doing nothing for a year to rehearse his crimes because; and this is the abject crap part:

'He thought he'd have to fight four Police officers when he ran from the bomb'

Now quite how you can rehearse that on WoW is open to discussion to all players with a lvl 85 fighter class in WoW only.

As I've said now we can expect all of the concerned parents and media watchdog lobby groups along with any politician who wants a point to tell us that games are a dangerous business and we should only really be playing card games but not those ones with pictures on.

He didn't kill himself because he's selfish and immature. He's a typical terrorist, he wants to force people to think like him under the threat of violence. If he just killed himself no one would notice.

I don't see why he just didn't kill himself.. If he had such a problem with everything, he could have just taken himself out of the equation. Shoot, he didn't even kill himself after his little spree which is what like, 99% of mass murderers do. I think that he thought he could get away with it, to be honest.

This isn't the place for politics but I do agree with a lot of what he said but not with what he did, I think he got that wrong and personally think he should have gone for martyrdom, vast swayths of Europeon society are expected just to roll over and die to make way for ideals that will never serve them.  What I'm saying here though is that somewhere down the line this will filter through to games producers and the games will be dumbed down like the Star Wars and Everquest MMO games were.

[/quote]

Wow. So instead of mass murder you think he should've martyred himself? How about neither, like a normal person? How about acting like a mature adult and accepting other cultures? You're wacked dude.