An Apology

I would like to issue an apology.

After finally caving and buying the Xbox 360 Edition of Minecraft, I must admit that the game is a fairly fun sandbox building simulator. I still hesitate to call it a "game" though, seeing as it lacks many elements of a game.....like a story.....or a point beyond "break things to build things that let you break more things to build more things......".

Notch definitely deserves credit for making something as addictive as this. I was wrong to call him a "hack".

But its definitely not the second coming like people are making it out to be.

PS: Is there any way to ensure my realm gets some damn taiga? I'm tired of just desert and timberland. Also, how freaking deep do you need to go just to get some damn iron?!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

vid·e·o game

electronic game controlled by microprocessor: an electronic or computerized game, usually controlled by a microprocessor, played by making images move on a computer or television screen or, for hand-held games, on a liquid-crystal display

regardless of whether it has a story or not, it is still a video game.

I beg to differ.  I couldn't outline a single story to any GTA game aside from "go here, destroy this to get more destructive stuff"

There are plenty of highly addictive, fun, polished, brilliant, genious games that don't have a shred of story. If that's how you decide on your purchases, you must have missed out on a hell of a lot of games!

Many of the early games ever released had no story.  You had to use your imagination (think Atari titles for instance).  Kinda reminds me of one post I read about Portal "This game sucks, you don't have a gun to kill anything."

Its not totally the lack of story that annoys me - after all I, enjoy games like Trials, etc. that have no real story or point other than to be fun and do well.

--------

What bugs me about the this "video game" is the distinct lack of "game". That is, something with a defined "end" or "win condition" that can be worked toward and eventually achieved, or something to constantly beat or top. Its the little part of your brain that stops and asks "......why?".

Sorry but that's a problem you're inventing for yourself. I've been playing MC for over a year and I always find stuff to do. It's a video game, stop putting it in quotes as if it's questionable. It has more creativity than a FPS game. Do you put FPS games in quotes too since there's only one thing to do and after a while it's like "why?"?

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

Sorry but that's a problem you're inventing for yourself. I've been playing MC for over a year and I always find stuff to do. It's a video game, stop putting it in quotes as if it's questionable. It has more creativity than a FPS game. Do you put FPS games in quotes too since there's only one thing to do and after a while it's like "why?"?

[/quote]

I completely agree. It is in fact a game. There is no question about it. The op is just being ignorant. I wonder what the op would think of pac-man or ping-pong. They don't really have a story, so should they be considered not a game as well?

[quote user="DarKzEnergYz"]

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

[/quote]

I completely agree. It is in fact a game. There is no question about it. The op is just being ignorant. I wonder what the op would think of pac-man or ping-pong. They don't really have a story, so should they be considered not a game as well?

[/quote]

Reading comprehension is an important skill. You should exercise it more. Particularly on the post where I said that I can enjoy games without story.

[quote user="Paragon Fury"]

[quote user="DarKzEnergYz"]

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reading comprehension is an important skill. You should exercise it more. Particularly on the post where I said that I can enjoy games without story.

[/quote]

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you very much. In fact, you should sharpen your reading comprehension skills because i never said you did not enjoy games without stories. All i was basically saying  is that a game does not need to have a story or a specific end goal to be a game.