All my fears about Skyrim were confirmed...

I'm not that big into RPGs and hated Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, but for some reason Skyrim has really interested me. All the talk about Dragons, improved combat, improved graphics, more voice actors, etc. almost made me forget about how much I hated the previous games. I've watched many of the Skyrim gameplay videos showing intense battles with Dragons and beautiful wide-open vistas, but I should've been paying more attention to the little things. After watching the first 23 mintues of Skyrim, everything I hated about the previous games seems to still be present again. Stiff animations, mediocre voice acting, improved but still outdated Xbox 360 graphics, screen tearing, dull combat, etc... I'm still going to buy it, but I'm not nearly as hyped or excited for it as I was. Me = disappointed.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

didnt even know anyone had any "worst fears" for skyrim.

ive pretty much been looking forward to it, its oblivion, far improved, in pretty much every aspect. asking for anything more is being spoiled.

I don't play it for extremely fast paced combat.

And what do you mean the graphics are outdated? This is not the fanboy speaking, but a truly amazed person. The graphics in this game are amazing.

[quote user="xANVx Deadly"]

I'm not that big into RPGs and hated Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, but for some reason Skyrim has really interested me. [/quote]

I am glad you are not impressed. These are not the kind of games you should be playing, to be completely honest. It's people like you that bog these games down and ruin them for the people that have been long dedicated fans.

I went into this thread because I figured it could have been a valid topic.....basically I forgot that I gave it a FP. Guess that means its eligible for a double.....

/facepalm

To be honest I am surprised this troll hasn't found a new bridge to play under.

[quote user="xANVx Deadly"]I'm glad we agree on the weapon impact though. I'll probably end up going the magic or ranged combat route because hitting someone with a huge blade or axe just to have it tap them is a really big buzz kill, although the finishing moves do look pretty awesome![/quote]That's was my biggest gripe with the previous games, the melee combat just didn't have any weight to it. I think it was because the enemies didn't really react to being hit. You could be playing as a 6,5" 300lbs Nord and swing a war hammer straight into the side of a 4,2" Wood Elf's head and it wouldn't even flinch. The only time anything ever reacted to being struck was when it's stamina was low/empty, but that only ever happened in prolonged fights which were pretty rare unless playing on the harder settings.

-

Basically it just didn't feel like you were actually hitting them. It was almost as if you're weapon was just passing straight through them. Which I guess, from a technical standpoint, it was lol.

-

I think it's difficult for developers to make first person melee combat feel convincing though. It's different in third person games where all of your movement is being directed by the left stick, especially when there's a lock-on feature like in Assassin's Creed and to a lesser extent Fable. When a game is set up like that, all of the attack animations are being guided towards the enemy automatically. You can't really do that in a first person game because of the second plane of movement, the "looking around" that you do with the right stick.

[quote user="BootstrapGolem"]

and it's people like you that chase new players out that refuse to suckle on bethesda's teat. the truth is that todd howard and everyone in the pr team were building skyrim up to be so much better than what we've ever seen from any other bethesda game yet, and now that the first 23 minutes are out we see that skyrim is more or less the same game bethesda pops out, for better or for worse. stiff animations, triple check; dull combat, debatable but check; mediocre voice acting, check; bug ridden, checked 'til the end of time; but it also is massive and beautiful and immersive and mostly forgivable, i hope.

[/quote]I agree with this 100%!

If you did not like the previous titles in the series, then I do not think that this new one will do it for you.  You should probably wait a year and rent it or get it cheap.  That way, there should be some DLC that might make the game more immersive for you.

and it's people like you that chase new players out that refuse to suckle on bethesda's teat. the truth is that todd howard and everyone in the pr team were building skyrim up to be so much better than what we've ever seen from any other bethesda game yet, and now that the first 23 minutes are out we see that skyrim is more or less the same game bethesda pops out, for better or for worse. stiff animations, triple check; dull combat, debatable but check; mediocre voice acting, check; bug ridden, checked 'til the end of time; but it also is massive and beautiful and immersive and mostly forgivable, i hope.

[quote user="implantedwall14"]

Why do you keep coming back? Every time you do, you get flamed more. Surprised it hasn't annoyed you yet to be honest.

[/quote]I keep coming back because a few people here have actually had some constructive, intelligent things to say regarding my concerns. All the people calling me a troll and flaming me don't really annoy me at all to be honest. I just ignore it for the most part because I'm not a troll and it's sad that people have to flame me to get their point across.

I could ask you the same question as well. Why do you keep coming back? You've called me a troll and have added nothing constructive to the thread.