Aiming and getting the first shot...

First of all I want to say I'm NOT trying to make this sound like Im complaining but trying to gain insight from others, I'm fairly new to BO and really havent played any other COD online. So I realize the people that are able to get the first shot on me probably have played the other COD for years and have logged wayyy more time than me.

It seems when I see an enemy I try to get my cross hairs lined up for a head/body shot, but I am always too slow. They seem to get the drop on me almost every time. Would one of the perks help me have a more steady shot and allow me to be able to keep the cross hairs on the enemy? When I look at the killcam, it just appears that their crosshairs never leave my body, they seem to have a steadier aim basically.  When I do get a chance to get the first shot in, my crosshairs just dont seem as steady on the enemy. I hope this question I'm trying to pose makes sense. 

Aagain I realize it may just take time and practice/time to improve getting the first shot and keeping a steady aim/crosshiars on the enemy. But was wondering if a perk would help or is it experience that is the answer Im looking for. I am loving the game and willing to take my beatings by the veterans!  Thanks!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Cod is a fast paced game so you have to adjust from other games like Halo, which are somewhat slower paced. I recommend using sleight of hand because that's what will give you faster aim down sights and might guarantee winning the gunfight, but not always. Even if you get the first shot on a guy, he might still kill you due to the bad hit detection in this game. I've learned to deal with it though so it's no biggie for me.

What I suggest you do is play Team Deathmatch where the pace is slow(most of the time) and then when you feel you're up for the challenge, play some objective game modes like Demolition or Headquarters. They can get pretty hectic at times.

Oh and one more thing, you might be using bad guns. I recommend trying the Famas and Ak-74u for now. As you level up, try to get a feel of other guns and see which ones you like the best. I use nearly every gun with the exception of Lmg's because they're just not for me. Hope this helps and if you need any more help, feel free to ask.

u try sleight of hands or steady aim

In pretty much any game mode you are going to have to learn to aim and fire in one step. Soh will help some, but the key here is to get the fell of the weapon you are using and pretty much be on target before you ads (or as I said, one step).

This will actually help in another sense. When you point and shoot all in one step ... the sticky aim feature works better and kind of makes that detailed adjustment for you.  This is basically the way quickscoping works, but the feature works on all weapons. The m16/acog is a great example of this. I've made some shots with it that make shake my head as to how I got a hit. ( not recommending a burstfire weapon for a beginner though)

Another tip as far as keeping aim while firing. I have really messed up hands .... arthritis etc.  I can spin and lock on a target quickly, but if I am off slightly or have to track an enemy while firing, I'm as good as dead. I just cant make the fine adjustments. So ..... I play hc mode . this may or may not be helpful to you.

I describe the difference in core and hc as this:

hardcore requires you to aim quicker, while core requires you to aim longer.

SOH Pro

Don't run around corners

Practice and aim low

I realize that what kills me a lot of the time is me sprinting. Just try taking it slower and walking instead of sprinting. It sounds obvious, but check your corners that always helps. And walk when you have a feeling that the enemy is in the next room or see red dots on your mini-map.

And for abrupt encounters with the enemies start shooting from the hip as you bring your gun up to ADS (aim down sights). Steady aim works exceptionally well with SMG's but has good effect with assault rifles as well. Sleight of hand PRO lets you ADS faster.

And do not worry about aiming up a headshot, just shoot the ***. And if you can tell that your aim is erratic then use a silencer, they won't know where you are for a moment, and when they do figure out where you are you'd have shot them dead.

sLEIGHT OF hAND pRO aims down the sights faster. I cant help you with LAG though, its very minute sometimes, but its a part of online gaming.  Steady Aim helps with hipfire accuracy. Also checking your controller "sensitivity" may help. Check that through in game options. Lower means turning slower, but better for aiming down range.

Someone else can chime in on this and tell me if it is true, but I am trying to work myself out of a habit of just spraying a target. Sometimes  when you catch a person out in the open, I would tend to pull and hold the trigger down until the target drops, I drop, or I run outta ammo. More times than not, I would get a hit but my opponent would still get me because I am going full bore with the sights jumping on me from the recoil. I think you would be well served if you could shoot, move, shoot move, etc.

Does this happen to anyone else? Opinions welcome :)

HM

[quote user="HavocMaker72"]

Someone else can chime in on this and tell me if it is true, but I am trying to work myself out of a habit of just spraying a target. Sometimes  when you catch a person out in the open, I would tend to pull and hold the trigger down until the target drops, I drop, or I run outta ammo. More times than not, I would get a hit but my opponent would still get me because I am going full bore with the sights jumping on me from the recoil. I think you would be well served if you could shoot, move, shoot move, etc.

Does this happen to anyone else? Opinions welcome :)

HM

[/quote]

It depends on the weapon .. some have more recoil and work better in bursts.

Something helful too ..... once you start shooting, instead of standing still, and turning back and forth to hit your target,  ....... dont turn, and slightly move side to side to tune your aim. It gives him a moving target to hit and seems a little more sensitive at times.

The case of "steadier aiming" is just luck.

Many times you will notice that sometimes your weapon just has ridiculous recoil and other times it's incredibly stable.