After Skyrim update, I'm lagging like mad?

Around 2 days ago I updated Skyrim and everything appeared to be fine. But then I got this huge lag spike, much like on the PS3. It happened at the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary and was incredibly bad but it did NOT jam the game and the game went back to normal. Not sure if this has to do with the update or not. Skyrim is installed to my hard drive and I'm around 45 hours into the game. I DO have a lot of save files, but I see no delete option for them.. I'd mainly delete my really old files. I have 2 files for my current playthrough, one being a backup at almost 1000 saves.

How can I reduce lag in Skyrim? It doesn't appear to be in any other games I play..

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 34 Applies to:

Hi shreds!

Do any of your other games lag by any chance or is it just Skyrim? If other games are lagging too I'd say your xbox isnt feeling too well. For now, I'll assume it is only Skyrim that lags.

If you do have a lot of saves, try deleting some of them by going to the dashboard, and then jump to the Settings tab where you can find an entry called System. Select the System entry by pressing A, and you'll can see another entry called Storage. Select the Storage entry and chose your memory medium in the menu.

Once you've selected, say, your harddrive, you'll see some categories, select the one named "Games And Apps" and then go through the list until you find Skyrim, then press A to go into the Skyrim folder where all your saves are stored, once in there you should be able to delete files by selecting them and pressing A, and then chose the "Delete" option.

If that does not help, I suggest checking out Bethesdas forums and see if others have reported similar issues, who knows, Bethesdas Devs might even have written something about it somewhere.

Let me know if it gets sorted out, will ya?

No-lag Skyrim for you, Sweetroll for me.

//Strife

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, I think I will try this. Sadly, I'll have to wait to get a replacement Xbox, as my current one has a broken DVD drive. (I will probably get a replacement in 1 or 2 days since the GameStop isn't too far, plus my 360 is still under warranty so I should get a new one for free.)

As soon as I get my new one, I will try this and post the results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Has it lagged anywhere else in the game? Or is it only in the Sanctuary? I know I've had a few areas even before the newest patch that have randomly decided to lag. Also you can delete files from within the game in the save screen I believe. Or it could be the load screen. Has been a while for me, but I believe you can scroll down onto your old saves and it's maybe X or Y to delete? Should say at the bottom of the screen. It will take a while, but deleting saves could help. An area could just be glitched though. I had an enemy spawn half inside of a wall on the one thieves guild quest. The place lagged so incredibly badly every time she tried to move. I guess the solution all depends on if this is one area or just in random spots on the game now. Keep us updated.

Sorry this didn't help.