After noticing all the hype and praise, I will buy Dark Souls

If I find its a crappy game, the xbox boards will feel my wrath. It better be good. I will also play this game without any guides or walkthroughs. Reason being someone on these boards on another thread said something about how video game walkthroughs ruin the experience and I couldn't agree more. 

This thread is basically a diary of how I'm doing on dark souls. I will keep updating it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'd get it tomorrow but I have about a billion other games to play and I have no time for all of them lol. I might get dat Far Cry Blood Dragon just because I loved FC3.

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year and decided to get it and I wasn't disappointed. Brilliant game!

I've never bothered with it for the simple reason that even the people who like the game describe it as frustrating.

-

After snapping the disc for Dead Space in half after failing the asteroid shooting section, for more times than I care to think of, I told myself that I'd never play a game that would annoy me again.

-

Whether that be something I discover during play, in which case I'd stop playing, or in the description of the game.

-

Everything I've ever heard about Dark Souls suggests that it would irritate me beyond belief.

I don't see the appeal in the series. I brought it for my man and he doesn't like it so I will have to get someone to play it or play it myself so it wasn't a wasted purchase.

[quote user="Burst Axe"]

I don't see the appeal in the series. I brought it for my man and he doesn't like it so I will have to get someone to play it or play it myself so it wasn't a wasted purchase.

[/quote]I know your a huge fighting game fan. Can you tell me which games don't require an arcade stick to become a high level player?

For me it was ok, nothing amazing, but ok. I enjoyed it most in co-op with two friends with a bit of pvp here and there. However, I just can't/don't see myself ever fully getting into it.

Well I have the limited and prepare to die editions and still haven't finished it. I love the misery that this game and Demons Soul's provide.

@rookie As long as you're not playing King of Fighters or Blazblue you'll be fine. Most fighting games can be played proficiently on a controller, provided you use an optimal button layout and practice.

[quote user="rookie tha vet"]

If I find its a crappy game, the xbox boards will feel my wrath. It better be good. I will also play this game without any guides or walkthroughs. Reason being someone on these boards on another thread said something about how video game walkthroughs ruin the experience and I couldn't agree more. 

This thread is basically a diary of how I'm doing on dark souls. I will keep updating it.

[/quote]

You my good sir have been duped into buying a great game.

"Dark Souls" is a very good game but much of the 'difficulty' is contrived, from the counter-intuative control scheme to the lack of a pause game feature to the lack of explanations for how things work the game works very hard to present a difficult situation for you.

"Dark Souls" preys upon your impatience.  As a culture we're naturally impatient, conditioned to have what we want straight away and the game uses this against you.

Now show me someone who says they totally played through "Dark Souls" without a guide and figured everything out by themselves and I'll show you a liar.

It's completely possible to play "Dark Souls" without a guide but it's going to take you absolutely ages.

Of course in this day and age, with all the radical non-conformists able to make any remark they please on the internet, just for the sake of being contrary, expect some people to declare they totally played through "Dark Souls" without a guide and finished it in a couple of weeks.  Well sorry, I still don't buy it and you'll learn this yourself.

If you have the patience, just do what they did.  Finde a video guide walkthrough, complete the game and then come online and insist it was "all you".

Don't be put off.

It's a great game.

Just "prepare to die".

Az

I have to ask you, I always see you say that Dark Souls has a 'counter intuitive control scheme'. I don't understand how you think that. I never had a problem with the layout of the controls and the game was designed for consoles from the ground up. This is one of the few games that got a PC port instead of vice versa. Moreso, I've never seen anyone else complain about the control scheme, so it might just be you.

-

I did the game without a guide and I think it took me about a month. After that, my playthroughs got shorter and shorter, and now if I wanted to just do a speed run, I think I could do i in an afternoon.