After Much needed time; my opinion of Dead Space 2

Dead Space 2 is a great game but there are  a few things that bothered me. When I first played DS2 I was very impressed with how the game looked. The look was my biggest concern before the game came out. and I was impressed. However before the game released I was not at all concerned with the Audio. I figured, they did such a great job in the first game, they would most definately improve on the second. And so they did. However, when I play in 5.1 audio I'm not getting the same "kick" that I did in DS1. Don't get me wrong I have freaky noises coming from right rear and left rear but not "organised" the way it was in the first game. The suround sound effects do not have there place; as if they don't "belong". A theory of mine would say this is do to the fact that the game was recorded in 7.1 Audio. Xbox 360 and DVD do not support uncompressed 7.1 audio. This leads me to believe that the 7.1 audio track was compressed and formated for Xbox 360 and I highly doubt Visceral created a seperate track for people who are still using 5.1 audio.

I still do not understand why Issac and Nichole were brought back to the story. If you ask me, they are not a part of Dead Space at all. Unitology, the Marker and its origins are what true fans were curious of. The whole idea of keeping Issac quiet in the first game was key. So if he died in the end, none of us had grown "attached". This game is too morbid for such character analysis. Granted the idea of giving the player something worth pushing through such a challenging game, such as a love interest, is fine but generic. Speaking of generic story ideas; remember in the end of Halo 2 we discovered there were more than two ring worlds? It just seems to me Visceral is getting very lazy with the story telling. I understand Visceral wants to pump out more Dead Space games and I want them to do so but do it with respect to the fans. Don't belittle us challenge us.

Another installment to the franchise seems inevitable and I have a few suggestions. When I listen to audio logs or read a text log, it should have some sort of significance to the game play. So if I want to continue to the next chapter I would need to gather all the logs, wich would help solve a riddle(or puzzle) that leads me to the next part of the game. Make audio and text logs a necessity and make the player actually read. And all the enemie deaths start to look the same. Try a gun that expands the enemy and causes them to explode, a weapon that actually melts your enemy, even one that freezes and shatters your enemy and all while trying to maintain the idea of dismemberment. I may have more to say but can't think of it at the moment.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have no idea what your talking about when it comes to Halo 2 (never played) but we have our opinions, I just know I loved DS2 and I loved Isaac as a character. I'm not saying if they went with a different person it would have been bad but to me, Isaac pretty much nailed it. And as far as a challenge, they could add a bit more I guess but Love is one of the strongest emotions. I wouldnt call it generic because that's what feeds alot of people their motivation. Love for their wife, kids, family, love for their craft their good at. It makes fighting for something worth while so I can see the whole Isaac & Nicole idea. Especially him being haunted. Speaking of the next Dead Space, there most definitely will be another one and I'm sure it will shake things up a bit so I also think you will get some things you felt were missing. It's a great series and it only gets better. DS1 was good, DS2 was a great improvement and I believe DS3 will be epic. This series and Mass Effect series are my favorites. Oh, by the way, I like your ideas of blowing up, melting or freezing an enemy haha, that would be sweet.

It was kind of obvious that there were more then one or two markers. The second Kendra told you that the first marker was man-made it's obvious they'd build more. When we detonated the first atomic bomb in 1945. We knew it's destructive potential, but still we built more, bigger and stronger. That's just the way humanity thinks.

One other thing I don't like about Dead Space 2 is how the flame thrower works in a vacuum. In the first dead Space the flame thrower did not work in vacuums and I liked it that way. It made the game more realistic.

But in reality the flame thrower would work in a vacuum due to the gasses inside of the torch.

[quote]The Flamethrower does not work in a vacuum due to the lack of oxygen needed to sustain the flame. This is technically an error by EA, since in reality hydrazine - a hypergolic fuel - is typically used with a liquid oxidizer stored along with it, and can even burn without any oxidizer as a mono-propellant. Therefore, a hydrazine flamethrower could theoretically be made to work in a vacuum. (This error is corrected in Extraction and later Dead Space games.) This being said, you should probably switch to a different weapon when you're going through a vacuum in Dead Space 1.

The Flamethrower uses hydrazine fuel, which can burn in a vacuum. EA announced they had made a mistake in the first Dead Space since the Flamethrower did not work in a vacuum. The weapon was fixed for Dead Space 2.

[/quote]

I LOVE the Flamethrower in DS2, especially when killing the pack! My sister thinks I'm sick but I think it's hilarious. I guess I will never get to watch her kids lol.

The ripper is better against the pack. It sounds like I'm running children over in a lawn mower.

Haha I'll have to try that on them, sounds hilarious.

[quote user="Lancinator"]

One other thing I don't like about Dead Space 2 is how the flame thrower works in a vacuum. In the first dead Space the flame thrower did not work in vacuums and I liked it that way. It made the game more realistic.

[/quote]And you didn't think that they've mastered space travel, so perhaps they figured out how to shoot fire in a vacuum?  They did have a few years to upgrade the weapon between the games.  Probably not on their priority list but I'm pretty sure if they can build deep space vessels and all sorts of sci fi/futuristic weapons, they can expand on something cavemen figured out.  In the end it's just a game.

[quote user="Lancinator"]

I still do not understand why Issac and Nichole were brought back to the story. If you ask me, they are not a part of Dead Space at all. Unitology, the Marker and its origins are what true fans were curious of. The whole idea of keeping Issac quiet in the first game was key. So if he died in the end, none of us had grown "attached". This game is too morbid for such character analysis. [/quote]

Everyone I've seen posting on these forums say they like Isaac.  At least the story that evolves around Isaac and Nicole is unique.  That *** threw us a curve ball between the two games.  Who would you prefer, someone who doesn't have a name or the ability to talk?  Maybe play a game from the  90's if that's the case.  You know what sounds like an ideal game for you?  A game where the protagonist is deaf, dumb, and blind.  Insert interesting enemies with a equally interesting back story and this should be a a win for you right?  I hope DS3 has Isaac and the new chic in it.  In one of the games I want to see ISAAC end things with the marker(s).  Maybe the new chic mud wrestling Nicole in zero g while the two wear nothing but a bikini while Isaac eats Peng-Itz?

Too morbid for such character analysis?  Have you ever heard of Resident Evil? There's plenty of character analysis of Chris, Leon, Wesker, Jill, and Claire to go around.  The games are pretty morbid.  Isaac may have been quiet but we still got attached to him.  In the future you shouldn't think you can speak for the rest of us.

I think the relationship between Isaac and Nichole is a waist of time. Nichole was meant to be a scary factor but instead turned out to be very annoying. She's scary one minuet, then the next minuet she's this caring mentor(much like a psychologist) trying to teach you a life lesson and then turns out to be a backstabbing marker in the end?After DS1 I wanted to know more about the alien race that left the marker behind. Visceral didn't even mention the alien race at any point in DS2. I also wanted to know who gave the orders to Kendra in the first game. So many unanswered questions. They probably will never be answered because that would mean the end of the Dead Space franchise and EA would loose one of their babies. Nobody ever takes the George Lucas approach on stories anymore (Tell the story and get it over with). It reminds me of the Halo franchise, how we will never know about the forerunners and how Bungie created a "trilogy" with no ending. The story between Isaac and Nichole is a POINTLESS distraction and instead of being insulted, Thoonkins, you're backing it up with mud wrestling fantasies of a Martha Stewart lookalike. "Come to think of it, that actually might make the game a little scarier.