Ads with Xbox Music on Windows 8

Hi everyone, 

Sorry if I'm not grasping what Xbox Music is all about, but on Windows 8 I'm simply using the app to play music that's already on my PC but I'm getting advertisements. I'm not interesting in streaming music, I just want to use the app as a music player. Are ads just something I'm going to have to live with if I use Xbox Music on Windows 8? It just doesn't seem like I should be getting ads playing music I already own.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hi Mister Rush,

Thanks for the reply, I am signed in with my active XBLA account, yep. I just tried playing music disconnected and it works too. The ads are admittedly rare (maybe once every 5 hours of listening, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern), but it is especially jarring when they happen and quite frustrating to be honest. The 'Music' app opens to 'My Music' only, I never steer from what is just 'My Music'. I've never played any music that isn't on my computer locally through Xbox Music, whether Xbox Music has for some reason decided to stream from cloud for no reason isn't known. PC is the only platform that I actually use Xbox Music too. I'm just simply not interested in any of the streaming services.

A high number of albums that I have locally appear with a cloud on the right hand lower corner, does that mean they're on the cloud and I'll be streaming when I play or just that if I go anywhere I'll be able to play that album when I sign into my account?

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Madmya,

I see that you are not an Xbox Music Pass holder.  If that's the case, the Xbox Music app is ad-supported without a subscription.  

There is the Windows Media Player included with Windows 8 that is not an ad-supported software.  You can find it from your Windows 8 Start screen by typing Windows Media Player.

Let us know if that Media Player is more to your liking.  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Madmya,

Are you signed in with a profile associated with a active Xbox LIVE profile? Have you tried disconnecting from your network and playing these songs while in offline mode to see if the app is still allowing you to play the files locally? How often do you hear an ad and are any songs playing ones that might be streamed from the service as opposed to being played locally? Let us know. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks,

While it's not going to mean anything, I find it insane that I have to be subscribed to play my own music on my own machine without ads. I guess it's back to Winamp then.

Madmya.

Sorry this didn't help.

Completely agree.  I find it amazing that MS thinks this is ok for what I would consider the default Windows 8 music player.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mister Parks what you are saying doesn't agree with the Microsoft site.

support.xbox.com/.../ads-while-streaming

its say you will never get ads when you play your own music... so what is Microsoft going to do about this BUG?

I have been playing music from my own pc, I should not be getting ANY ads.  Why would I pay 99/year to not get ads while playing my own music library?

Sorry this didn't help.