Achievements. Good or bad?

Achievements have been part of many video games since the release of Xbox 360. But are they good or bad? I find myself remembering playing classic video games when I were a child, playing such games as Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64, which is my all time favourite. Although since having an Xbox 360 for 3-4 years now I have become to enjoy gaining achievements on my favourite games, racking up a high gamerscore and even re-playing such games like Fallout 3. But recently I wondered about buying another generation console from my childhood to relive moments, such as Crash Bandicoot or that classic Tony Hawk Pro-Skater. Despite how great these games are im still a bit upset about not gaining achievements, I mean come on being rewarded for playing a game can become a bit obsessive, I even find myself playing longer hours than I would normally for maybe a 5G/10G achievement.

So are achievements good or bad? Do you care much for achievements or do you struggle playing a retro game without that classic sound effect popping up every-time you fulfil something within a game. Give me some feedback on what YOU think. Thanks guys.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

They're numbers.  They can't be bad or good really.

-

Don't like them, ignore them. Which is what I do with most games.  If i enjoy a game enough though I might go for achievements.  Sometimes they get you to do something fun and challenging  you wouldn't otherwise ave thought of doing.

id say there good...for me atleast adds a little bit of replay value

Good when it's just to show what you've actually achieved in game. Bad when it encourages people to boost or buy games they wouldn't normally buy just to raise their total.

They are very good.

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

Good when it's just to show what you've actually achieved in game. Bad when it encourages people to boost or buy games they wouldn't normally buy just to raise their total.

[/quote]

This

I like achievements, only because after I'm done with a game I'll have a good excuse to play it again. Also, if there's an achievement that requires me to do something different, and interesting, then I'll do it. It makes a game more enjoyable.

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

[/quote]

I'm also with this.

I used to focus on achievements in every game I played. Although it was interesting in the beginning I've found that going after them has become more of a chore and the fun factor is gone.

Now I just play the game and if I get achievements that's cool but I won't make them the focus.

I like to get at them when I am bored otherwise, I get them when I get them

I like achievements that are fun and add replay value.  I hate the grinding achievements that are found in most shooters: Get 100 kills with this gun, play 10 matches on this map, play 10 matches in this skin, execute this guy with that guy 10x.  They strip away all of the fun of getting them and are way too tedious.