AC: Forsaken - A Worthy Read (Early Game Spoilers)

Before I get into this, this thread contains minor spoilers regarding the character of Haytham Kenway in the game. If you've not made it past Sequence 3, you should probably stop reading NOW!

-

Still here? Don't say I didn't warn you.

-

So, this is just a quick post to say that anyone who enjoyed the character of Haytham Kenway or anyone who simply wants to uncover a lot more about Assassin's Creed 3's story and about the Templars should take a look at the latest Assassin's Creed novel, Forsake. I've not been a big fan of Oliver's writing in the past books, but this time he nails it! The book focuses on Haytham, taking on the form of his personal journal, and follows his childhood years right up to everything that happens throughout the game.  His early years before we see him in Assassin's Creed 3 are very interesting, obviously dealing a lot with the Templars and his rise through their ranks, although sadly it does skip almost all of his actual training.

-

Since you play as Connor in Assassin's Creed 3 the viewpoint it offers is obviously heavily skewed in favor of the Assassin's, but Forsaken gives you a glimpse into the Templar world. It gets really interesting once the book catches up to the game, as you learn there was a lot more going on that you ever realised. Oliver Bowden connects events together nicely and provides so much more background information, such as just who did you actually kill in the game's opening Opera House scene or what was Haytham's connection with Braddock.. It also explains other things, like how Haytham came by his hidden blade.

-

It also provides a little more insight into Haytham's fellow Templars and into other events and characters within the story.

It's actually a shame that so much of the information within this book never made it into the game's storyline. Having read it I can safely say it adds a hell of a lot to the overall storyline, and I'd be quite willing to actually play an Assassin's Creed spin-off based on this book. Haytham led an interesting life.

-

Do yourself a favor and go pick it up. It's well worth a read.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I always wanted a game that we could play as the Templars. Felt they were misunderstood and that this whole series is through the Templars in the Animus playing back the memories in the end. We shall see.