A vampire?! Why would you bother?

I have been toying with the idea of contracting the disease, but the cons out way the pros? Like how are you meant to quest if you cannot even go into towns? If it wasn't for that it would be a lot easier. So for the vampires out there how has your experience been?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Going by the strategy guide for the game, here's what it says about them...

Pros

Superior melee and magic combat skills

Drain life ability

Immune to disease and poison

Illusion spells are 25% more powerful

25% harder to detect whilst sneaking

Resist Frost

Cons

Hatred - 4 stages ranging from petty remarks up to attacking you on sight

Weakness to Sunlight

Weakness to Fire

I'm about to carry out an assassination on 2 Vampires for the Dark Brotherhood but I think I'll bring a few Cure Disease Potions. Some of the advantages are good but disadvantages are much worse. I'd give it a miss

[quote user="DeadlyByDesign"]

I have been toying with the idea of contracting the disease, but the cons out way the pros? Like how are you meant to quest if you cannot even go into towns? If it wasn't for that it would be a lot easier. So for the vampires out there how has your experience been?

[/quote]You can go into towns, but you need to be well fed as to not look like a vampire. If it works like oblivion, where I was a vampire, the longer you go without feeding, the more vampire looking you become. The only ones who really need to worry about not being able to get into towns are werewolves. If you get spotted changing in the most obscure area by even one person, the entire of skyrim will know. I liked being a vampire, sometimes sucked managing the day night thing, but if I was fed, the sun wouldnt do much harm. 

I hated vampires in Oblivion to the point where it almost ruined the game for me. They were such a burden. You couldn't go out in the day. I remember stepping outside a door and dying in a second or two - lame. Made questing really hard. Nobody liked you, merchants wouldn't sell to you... I hated having to feed... BLEH!

In Skyrim, I contracted the disease twice. Thank God people kept telling me I looked sick, etc, cause I went to the temple real fast and prayed. After that, I heard that if you become a werewolf, you can't get any diseases cause of your beast blood, I decided to go for the werewolf. I love wolves in real life so that made it more appealing, too.  I have to tell you... I am totally loving being a werewolf. Great thing about it, too... you never have to transform if you don't want to. But it's seriously cool to maul people apart, too. lol  I'm not noticing any cons, either. It mentions a weakness to silver but, like I said... nothing that I even noticed. So, I'd say... ditch the vamp and go wolf. :D  They run faster than horses, too! (in beast form of course).

EDIT: Oh. One con that is a bit of a bother is you can't loot while in beast form. Can't look at your map, etc, either. BUT you can always loot after you turn back to human again to loot. You can wait 1 hour to turn back right away if you want, too.

I've had no issues with being a Werewolf, and if you have a certain ring, you can make the transformation as many times as you want.

:O  What ring?? Where do you get it??

SPOILER!!!!

The Ring of Hircine, one of two possible rewards from "Ill met by moonlight" Daedric quest.

Visit the jail in Falkreath, talk to the prisoner for the quest.

Now, there is an exploitable glitch that allows you to obtain two deadric artifacts.

When you meet with the werewolf in the grove, take his side and kill all the hunters.

Then talk to him... Then kill him too, but DON'T talk to the spirit that appears.

Go outside, talk to the elk form spirit, then when he's done, go back inside and talk to the other spirit.... BAM! Savior's Hide and Ring of Hircine.

It didn't show me the on screen prompt that I received them either, but they were both in my inventory after all was done.

Werewolves were much worse off in oblivion than vampires. You get spotted once transforming into a werewolf, you were immediately banned from everywhere.

Except for the fact that there weren't any werewolves in Oblivion... At all!

Be a werewolf instead, literally the only cons are you don't get well rested bonuses, in wolf form only you cant do human actions (loot lockpick, etc) and you're weak to silver/daedric weapons.

You NEVER have to use the power unless you want to (no forced transformations), are completely immune to disease, in werewolf form you have a powerful area of effect fear "spell" (you just snarl) that can be spammed as much as you want, you feed on humans/elves to regenerate health, you absolutely annihilate in melee combat, your power attacks knock people down for an easy kill, you can sprint for very long and very quickly (no need for a horse..you can be faster than one), your stamina regenerates almost instantly, wolves are your allies and won't attack, crimes committed as a wolf don't result in a bounty, and if you're spotted transforming you can just pay a fine and go on with your life. You can just use the wait feature to become human again if your wolfish business is done.

Really? I didn't think to use the wait. I just stood there looking like a dumbass after i pulled my first "assassination" for a kid with werewolf as my killing tool.