A potion question

I haven't yet tested these potions but have to wonder how they work. Both Illusion and Alteration have potions that increase the duration 100% for 60 seconds. That sounds good except most of my illusion and alteration spells which are not per second are for 60 secs. Every Alteration spell is for 60 secs (or per sec). Some lower level Illusion Spells are for only 30 sec but  the higher ones are also 60 secs. I really don't understand the percent  extension for a set time. If it made it stronger, say a frenzy worked against a stronger enemy or a flesh worked for longer, those would be useful but these don't seem so. What am I missing? How do you extend something 100% for 60 secs?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Haha sorry.....I don't know.  I'm always happy with whatever I make.  I'm easy to please. :p

Oh, that's too bad because I was sure you were the expert who could answer the question. I guess I'll have to go see what happens if I drink a potion and cast low level fear on a wolf or crab. That would be funny. A crab scrambling in terror for its life.

Since the Mantis failed me, I did my own research on wiki and it makes a bit more sense. It is essentially a fortify that makes conjurations last longer so your atronachs stick around longer if the don't die. It makes illusions stronger so should mean that they will affect a higher level enemy, and Alteration spells last longer when cast during the 60 second window, so stoneflesh would last more than 180 secs. Okay, now it makes sense. Sorry I troubled you.

Haha sorry.....okay, here is a better answer:

Here's what I currently make and what I use.  I don't make potions for everything, so it's not a comprehensive list.  If you see a potion you like and aren't sure how to make it let me know and I'll get you the ingredient list.

I'm using an enchanted ring, amulet, circlet and bracers all with a 27% boost to alchemy or 108% boost total.  I also have the entire alchemy skill tree maxed out.  In order to get 27% on my enchantments, I used a fortify enchantment potion that gives me a 30 second/31% stronger potion boost.  I realize it's possible to bounce these back and forth to get better and better potion strengths and durations, but I really don't need much of an improvement over the times I can make now.

Invisibility - 126 seconds

Slow - Target moves at 50% speed for 156 seconds

Paralyze - 31 seconds

Poison - Target is 62% weaker to poison for 30 seconds, causes 62 points concentrated poison damage and 94 pts poison damage. (Made with purity perk)

Fortify Heavy Armor 62 pts for 60 seconds

Fortify One-Handed 125% more damage for 60 seconds

Fortify smithing for 30 seconds armor improving is 125% better

Ok I made a few more potions this morning to find the best strengths using  the most easily acquired ingredients.

Lockpicking - 62% easier for 30 seconds - Namira's Rot and Spider egg

A decent slow/poison mixture - 50% speed reduction for 156 sec and 156 pt. poison damage -Deathbell + River Betty and Skeever Tail

Restore Health - 195 pts - Blisterwort and blue mountain flower

Fortify Conjuration - 156 % longer for 60 seconds - Lavender + Bone Meal

Fortify Destruction -  156 % longer for 60 seconds - Ectoplasm and Glowing Mushrooms

Fortify Illusion -  125 % longer for 60 seconds - Dragon Tongue and scaly pholiota

Regenerate Magika - Regenerate 156% faster for 300 seconds - Fire salts and Moon Sugar

I'll add more mixtures later....

Here's more commonly used mixtures....again, I chose ingredients that are the most easy to attain and/or cheapest to buy.

Invisibility - 126 seconds -  Charus eggs and ninroot

Slow - Target moves at 50% speed for 156 seconds - Deathbell and salt pile

Paralyze - 31 seconds = imp stool and swamp fungal pod

Fortify Heavy Armor 62 pts for 60 seconds - Salughterfish scales and white cap

Fortify One-Handed 125% more damage for 60 seconds - Bear claws and canis root

Fortify smithing for 30 seconds armor improving is 125% better - Blisterwort and glowing mushroom

Fortify Marksman - Bows to 125% more damage for 60 seconds - Juniper berries and spider egg

Fortify Sneak - Purple mountain flower and frost mirriam

Fortify Two-Handed - Attacks do 125% more damage for 60 seconds - Dragon Tongue and Fly Amantia

Important Note:  These were made by using enchanted gear totaling 108% boost to fortify alchemy - so you may not get the same results without...but still good mixtures anyway, even without the boost.  

Funny that you can get the same results using the cheapest, most easy to find ingredients.

Okay....now here are some to MAKE MONEY!!!!!  Don't use em!  lol

With Giant's Toe: Hanging Moss + Bear Claws + Giant's Toe or Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower + Giant's Toe

Without Giant's Toe: Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom + Hanging Moss or Creep Cluster + Large Antlers + River Betty

Ok you probably got more than you bargained for....but now here are the best PURITY poisons.  

Damage Magicka + Damage Stamina Regen + Ravage Health

Daedra Heart + Eye of Sabre Cat + Skeever Tail

Damage Stamina + Damage Stamina Regen + Weakness to Magic

Creep Cluster + Giant's Toe + Rock Warbler Egg

Honestly, the other Purity perk potions are kinda useless because the effects are too unrelated.  They can be found here:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Useful_Potions

I confess, I was playing with the fortify restoration glitch the other night and made some absurd potions I wouldn't use ever.  Maybe once just to see what happens. One in particular might be interesting in a giant's camp. It can be used on an arrow to create mayhem or used to one-hit a mammoth with a warhammer. For puny me that might be therapy. I forget what I mixed but it was common ingredients maxed with restoration. I got a Potion of Fortify Two-handed with a side of Frenzy. It does 1010% two-handed damage for 60 seconds (I could take out a whole camp with that) plus creatures up to level 253 attack everyone for 10 seconds (so it's a good thing the giant camps aren't near a town) I would need a good invisibility potion though to escape. Potions like that are only good for laughs. And it was worth almost 14,000 gold, so it can't be sold but it did wonders for leveling alchemy. I have no perks in alchemy other than the power perks but am now 100. The purity perk would help expand the ingredient possibilities for restore magica since several combos restore and ravage at the same time.

I made myself a similar alchemy set. I still want to play with the glitch since even with the fortify enchant boost I have now I can't duplicate the 50% (and up) resist element available to buy. I have 50% frost resist elven boots but I want to go with mage armor and need it on plain boots. I don't want to double up on other items because those slots are taken for a dragon set. I prefer enchantments for the resists because there is no easy way to know when a potion has worn off. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, oh wise one.