A fickle complaint

This has been bugging me for some time and I can no longer remain silent.  I really dislike the names of the maps.  Firebase Glacier?  How does that identify anything characteristic about the map.  It could be any one of them as far as I'm concerned.  Firebase scienc lab, firebase radar place etc etc.  These names would have made way more sense. 

-

I feel so much better now. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks UyoBro, I`m more curious than ever about this weekend`s challenge, `starting on a long complicated task` sounds intriguing, I`d like to see them string more than one map together as a `mini-campaign` or, have to go up against all three enemies simultaneously on the same map...:-)

[quote user="Arkham99"]

The names have been named as such to have a military code name assigned to them, they sound like nick names to us, but the military has always prefered to use code names for their operations and locations, remember Desert Storm?  The names add to the whole N7 SpecialOps/War Assets theme portrayed throughout and, if an enemy is monitoring your communications, "White" would confuse them whereas Noveria reveals to them a destination...:-)

[/quote]Let me see.

• Firebase Giant: Tuchanka's Giant orbital Cannons.
  • Firebase Reactor: An Energy Reactor
  • Firebase Ghost: Ghost town (as some one else said)
  • Firebase Dagger: An antenna Array pointing at the sky like Daggers, or even the rock formations around it
  • Firebase Glacier: A Cerberus Lab, and Labs after sometimes referred to as a White zone for referring to sterile Environments
  • Firebase White: A Cerberus Fighter base located on a Snow cover mountain on Noveria a planet covered in Glaciers of Ice and snow

Oh wait, White and Glacier have been named around the wrong way. Oops.

Beachhead is another military term. It's when they make a landing by water and establish a position to allow for reinforcements to follow them. The System Alliance is considered a navy. Nowdays it's used casually to describe any kind of "getting your foot in the door" situations, like starting on a long complicated task.

It's also the name of a GI Joe.

It's the Weekend Challenges that have more curious names, in my opinion, what's this 'Beachhead' one all about?  A Volus?  Nah, that's a Beachball, maybe it'd be a great time to introduce an "Oddball" mode, ala HALO, seriously, a game of "keepaway" or "hot potato" with a bunch of Husks would be fun, no?...:-)

Well you have to consider that a COD is being simple about it because their main target audience is simple as well.

the codes are great and I get that military jargon is like that, I just think map naming should focus on a key feature of that map.  

-

as much as I hate to use COD as an example,  Black Ops, a lesser known military shooter (haha) uses simple names on their map such as Jungle, Zoo, Nuketown, all of which stand out on their own by name and by appearance.    

^^ She nailed it on the head, even though it doesn't seem like the code works seeing how you instantly get attacked by hundreds of enemies lol.

The names have been named as such to have a military code name assigned to them, they sound like nick names to us, but the military has always prefered to use code names for their operations and locations, remember Desert Storm?  The names add to the whole N7 SpecialOps/War Assets theme portrayed throughout and, if an enemy is monitoring your communications, "White" would confuse them whereas Noveria reveals to them a destination...:-)

i not realy bothered by names more so lack of number of maps! we need more to compete with other MP co-op games!

[quote user="III Poison III"]

IMO best place to camp is the spawn. I used to camp the other end of the red tunnel but that's just not possible on gold.

[/quote]

It's more than possible on gold.  You've basically got 2 entry points to cover and it's well lit.  The problem happens when people don't want to stay there and let the enemy approach, but feel compelled to run out and go find the enemy.  That's when you get into trouble.