A Better ESO Forum

At the risk of coming off as a bit overzealous and a tad nostalgic, I wanted to open up a thread to try and get an idea of whether this is a forum that could serve for a community or not.

In days long past, the Elder Scrolls forums here on Xbox.com were some of the most active and tightly knit boards on the entire website. And while the forums lacked in subtlety and politeness a lot of the time (something I did help perpetuate), they more than made up for it with enthusiasm about the subject material and interesting discussion. The potential for a much more engaging community is here now that we have an MMO.

I've been taking glances at this forum for a while now and one of the major issues here is the flood of guild recruitment and help needed threads. There's nothing inherently wrong with those threads, but they bury any attempt at true discussion. This thread has a link to presumably a sub area for those kind of posts, but it's a dead link now which leads me to the assumption that it wasn't supported well or was too much of a hassle.

This is where things get tricky, because in order for this to be an effective place to discuss the game there actually has to be room to discuss it. Right now, there isn't.

So here's my suggestion: Guild and in-game help threads need a single thread each, and there has to be a lock policy for any posts about them outside of those threads. That does mean a lot more moderator involvement here, which is time consuming, but besides sheer brute force of people posting over those threads I don't see any way that this forum is going to ever be more than "join my guild, free bite plz".

That also means threads for established guilds would have to go, or at least have their freedoms tightened. I can feel the contempt right now, but because of the way Xbox.com does things there's one board per game usually. That means it's either one way or the other here. We don't get to enjoy the luxury of having sub forums for recruitment, trading, etc. There's going to be more than one guild that's sizable enough to warrant a thread, yes, but there's also only so many spaces on the front page of the forum and I think having nearly all of them filled by guild threads is a little ridiculous.

So again, I have no idea if there's even a desire for something outside of guild and support threads here. It appeals to me, but this website has changed a lot over the years and people have come and gone. I'm just opening this thread with my view of things so that if there is a recurring group of posters here it can be opened up for discussion. I run back and forth between the Xone and PS4 versions of the game, so maybe I'll see you in Tamriel.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

first, there are forums specifically for guilds, why this forum isn't moderated I don't know, but to your reference to the older forums, was atime when all popular game forums were always active, lots of internet fights, in fact it was like a street brawl, you should have seen the enforcement forums, anyway they really couldn't get a grip, multiple suspensions, thread locks, post deletions, so under the guise of making the forums better, they made them hard to navigate and use, so most interesting people left, that's pretty much it

by interesting I mean difficult, and by moderated I mean afew of us actually reached out to have the guild thing cleaned up, with no response or moderation

[quote]first, there are forums specifically for guilds, why this forum isn't moderated I don't know, but to your reference to the older forums, was atime when all popular game forums were always active, lots of internet fights, in fact it was like a street brawl, you should have seen the enforcement forums, anyway they really couldn't get a grip, multiple suspensions, thread locks, post deletions, so under the guise of making the forums better, they made them hard to navigate and use, so most interesting people left, that's pretty much it by interesting I mean difficult, and by moderated I mean afew of us actually reached out to have the guild thing cleaned up, with no response or moderation[/quote]

Interesting information, I was part of an exodus from this site because of tightening moderation (so there's certainly some irony in me calling for it here).

The street brawl comparison is funny, it was a lot like that. Sort of the wild west in a way. Looks like the well has dried up though from how dead all the forums I check are.

So I guess the problem here seems to be that they couldn't get a handle on things, so instead of loosening the rules they gave up. I was debating pming a moderator this thread to get their view on things. It's a shame. Wasted opportunity.

The tightening moderation didnt clean it up enough, ive had a suspension or two had my cul reduced at least once, so they just made it extremly difficult to interact, at least from the old forums, the rest just took care of itself, now the old guard is gone, used to be lots of posts every day, now its like a wasteland, not even the most active forums have daily posts, its the snorums now, or bore ums, whatever

Whoa did you just see that tumbleweed? right down the hallway

I just go on the official ESO forums, its much more entertaining.