6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It called Starcraft 2. RTS games will never work out on the consoles there is simply not enought buttons. Same with the mmorpgs.

[quote user="Nameloi"]

Oh and why would that be Dante? if your gonna disagree with someone or something, state why.

I actually think he makes some very good points, particularly when it comes to the abuse by developers with FPS and the same use of gameplay and settings.

Games could be much more than just shooting at pixels every month.

[/quote]

Because I feel like there are plenty of new ideas and new games out there. There are plenty of non-FPS games as well. You are blind if you think there is more than just FPS games releasing these days, you are letting Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Halo, and Battlefield get to you and blind you.

Plus, regardless of what you may think, you don't need a new IP to get new ideas out in the open. An existing IP can introduce brand new and original ideas while retaining the same story, characters, and game play that people come to love from particular series. Look at Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. It introduced fans to a completely new way to play and experience the series, while retaining everything that made the series what it is. It is a blast to play and there isn't anything out there quite like it, but what do I see said about it, especially from you? Hate, hate, and more hate.

Plus look at Kinect. It is introducing gamers to a completely new and original way to play games. There was motion controls before, but not nearly as advanced as Kinect. It's a huge step forward and opens the door for a whole new world of new ideas, games, and features, but all you do is hate on that.

We are not short on new ideas in this day and age. Might be a bit short on new IPs, but you do NOT need a new IP to make something new and original. Plus having a new idea doesn't always make a game good.

[quote user="Nameloi"]

Oh and why would that be Dante? if your gonna disagree with someone or something, state why.

I actually think he makes some very good points, particularly when it comes to the abuse by developers with FPS and the same use of gameplay and settings.

Games could be much more than just shooting at pixels every month.

[/quote]

It's because he is a sheep.

Curse you...now I'm stuck on Cracked. Again.

Red Dead, Fallout 3, Borderlands, Mass Effect demonstrates the various directions the games can go in. Just use your imagination.

However as Wong states the gamers are largely to blame for the endless amounts of sequels.

Look at how Vanquish sold for instants compared to trash like Brink and Homefront. Look at how a twist on the FPS Mirror's Edge flopped in the sales department.

The worse thing about shooters is that only the original Fear(which is practically a last gen game) Killzone 2 and the Halo games have made an effort into making the enemy hard to kill. Unfortunately Killzone 3 went for the Dudebro crowd and dumped ammo everywhere on the levels and made the A.I dumb. whereas as Killzone 2 made the A.I challenging and made ammo scarce, which made you think more about how to approach the game. Even the original Fear and Rainbow 6 Vegas on the Xbox and PC are leagues above the current offering.

In Halo you see a certain type of enemy and you from the get go know you're going to have trouble with it. In games like Call Of Duty, and Battlefield, they're all faceless clones you just aim at and gun down as they run around aimless.. The games may as be on rails. Games designed for those who like to cheat online in Call Of Duty 4 given the chance.

The bigger problem is games that are designed with sequels in mind, which then in turn make the single player games shallow, and instead they tag multi-player into it, along with DLC.

A rare successful exception again is a PS3 game in Uncharted 2. A game who's single player is worth playing more than once. Demon's Souls on the Ps3 also is another example of that. Most games today compensate poor design with extra DLC. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a good example of how bad things can get. Blazblue is an example of how good things can get.

Which brings me to the fact that Japanese games tend to focus more on the single player and thus their single player modes are worth playing more than once or at least have complexity and depth, whereas most western games focus on multiplayer in the hope that it will kick off like Call of Duty did. Amusingly at least the Call of Duty games have the decency to put in Zombie modes and Bots for example in Black Ops, and Arcade and Spec Ops in the Modern Warfare games, Activision probably get too much stick actually.. Rainbow Six put in Terrorist hunts, Halo put in various challenges.

The industry has problem with people buying second-hand games, but yet most design their games to be sold off in the first place. Instead of designing their games to be kept, like Demon Souls, and Uncharted or Rainbow Six, and yes again even Call of Duty Black Ops, at least your DLC won't goto waste will it, since the game has Bots. Same goes for Killzone 2 and 3.

I don't agree with it. Also, The shooter genre can't really go any farther.

[quote user="Darth Caesar"]

[quote user="CND AAA Beef"]And when's the last time you played a really good platformer?[/quote]

I've only played the demo thus far, but Outland seems very good.  I'm sure there are others on here that can give you a comprehensive list.

[/quote]

I know there's probably some really good platformers out there, but they don't have the same exposure that they used to.

[quote user="The Lord of War"]

It called Starcraft 2. RTS games will never work out on the consoles there is simply not enought buttons. Same with the mmorpgs.

[/quote]

That last paragraph was about the industry in general, not platform specific. I've only got RTSs on my Xbox because my PC is a dinosaur when it comes to gaming. I'd like to put a decent rig together to play Starcraft 2, though. A buddy of mine says it's beast.

Points 4 and 5 are what scare me the most, because it's already happening. But the whole thing is pretty much true, especially with the creative bankruptcy thing.

On the N64, I had at least 25 different games, ranging from shooters, to racing, to platforming, fighting, and flight-action.

I have about 20 games for the Xbox. Most are shooters, but I have a few racing games, a platformer, and a few sports games. Even the shooters are pretty varied, I've got class shooters with Conker and SWBF2, tac shooters like RS3 and BA and Splinter Cell 1-3, arcade shooters like Halo 1-2 and Unreal Championship, and a vehicle shooter in Mechassault.

I've got only 8 games for the 360. COD4, Halo 3, BC2, C&C3, Kane's Wrath, Forza 2, Forza 3, and PGR3.

The overdose of FPS games is really crippling the industry. There are only a few good RPSs out there. There are only two real flight action franchises (Ace Combat and HAWX). The racing genre has only a few good franchises in it (Gran Turismo, Forza, Dirt, and NFS). RTS games are stuck in a rut, and every attept to break out has been riddled with failure. And when's the last time you played a really good platformer?

The MW3 and Crysis 2 part was really funny. Start the level underwater, emerge to the surface and be reminded what is at stake, and both had burning boats.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360