4 GB Slim Xbox360 (gave it a 250 hard drive) won't play xbox games!

Well i got an xbox slim and a few months ago i got a 350 hard drive for it and just recently i tryed to put a regular xbox game in and a Game Error came up saying "This game could not start. Try redownloading the game" what i don't understand is this is a disk based game not a downloadable game.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Hi there, GodlyAces.

If the game you are trying to play, is a orginal Xbox game, and not for the 360 you will not be able to play this game. This is due to the Xbox original games, not being compatible with the Xbox 360. However, on a more positive note, I can guide you to the Xbox Live marketplace, where you may find the game you are trying to play. And from here you can purchase it, and play it. Simply follow these instructions, to find your way to the marketplace.

1. Press the guide button on your controller (middle, circular button)

2  Scroll left, twice. And you will see 4 options, choose the 3rd option (Game Marketplace)

3. Now, you will be on the 'spotlight' page. If you press the 'RB' button, to take you to downloadable games.

4. You will see some columns. The first column, has 'New Games' and 'Games A-Z'. Choose 'Games A-Z'

5. Now, choose the letter, of which is first on the title of your game.

You can now, feel free to browse the game selection, and see if you can spot your game. I am sorry to tell you that, original Xbox games are not compatible with the Xbox 360 console.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,

Ryan M (DarkLink 900)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Too add on, if you are meaning a usual Xbox 360 game. It may be because their are some faults. Try following these next few steps.

1. Make sure the disc is not dirty/scratched.

2. Make sure your disc tray is not dusty/dirty.

If non of these work, try calling Xbox support in your region. However, if they fail to give you a solution that you like, try doing these options here:

1. Swap the game, and see if they work.

2. If they do, try returning your Xbox console to the original store of purchase, with your receipt, and your warranty (if there is one)

By doing this they should let you swap for a new Xbox 360 console (it may be 2nd hand or refurbished.)

Hope this also helped.

Kind Regards,

Ryan M (DarkLink 900)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GodlyAces,

What game are you trying to play?  If it is an original Xbox game it will need to be listed HERE  If it isn't then it isn't compatable with Xbox 360.  If it is on the list you can try the Troubleshooting steps HERE which may help get you going.

Let us know what game it is we may be able offer other suggestions to help

Sorry this didn't help.

Firstly, DarkLink 900 is quite mistaken about original Xbox games.  You can play any of the original xbox games that are on the list that Tgeekster posted a link for.  Secondly, you need to have an official Xbox360 HD for them to work.  Only official HD's have the emulation software required to play original xbox games on a 360.  You cannot install the emulation software yourself to a different HD.  If you purchased your HD online for cheap, then you may have purchased a fake which will lack the software needed to play.  Only buy HDs from reputable retailers.

Sorry this didn't help.

HomegrownSilky - Thank you for letting me know. I just assumed that all of them didn't work unless you downloaded them, due to a few I have tried in the past. I will remember this for future reference, sorry and thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow this worked thanks for the help!! you guys just made my day :)

Sorry this didn't help.