343 Director Ryan Payton Walks Away From Halo 4

[quote user="IGN"]     Ryan Payton has left 343 Industries - the team responsible Halo 4 - saying the game had become a "crazy endeavour". Payton, who worked on Metal Gear Solid 4, was tasked with developing the game's story and overseeing the creative team who were planning the next trilogy of Halo games. Speaking to Kotaku, Payton said, "I had a great run at Microsoft. I don't regret one day of it. But after a few years, there came a point where I wasn't creatively excited about the project anymore." But he took pain to stress that it wasn't because the game was turning out badly. It was simply not in line with his original vision. "The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through. "I think time is the most valuable thing we have," said Payton, "and I've decided that I'm not going to waste one more day working on something that doesn't speak to my values." [/quote]

IGN 9/6/2011

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't blame him. I was bored of Halo since 3 came out.

So basically, since he didn't get HIS way, he left.  What is he?  Like five?  Or maybe he's used to getting his way, and doesn't realize you can't always get what you want.

[quote user="TH3 Duddits"]

So basically, since he didn't get HIS way, he left.  What is he?  Like five?  Or maybe he's used to getting his way, and doesn't realize you can't always get what you want.

[/quote]

Ok if you were the DIRECTOR of something and couldn't put your own creative touch on it, then what on earth is the point? 

^^^^^^^

word.

It depends; it sounds like he didn't have complete control over the project so he decided to leave.  I mean, if it was like a small thing like a weapon or character they wouldn't allow, then it'd be understandable, but it seriously sounds like he thought he could "fix" Halo or something, and not getting his way, he left.

[quote user="TH3 Duddits"]

It depends; it sounds like he didn't have complete control over the project so he decided to leave.  I mean, if it was like a small thing like a weapon or character they wouldn't allow, then it'd be understandable, but it seriously sounds like he thought he could "fix" Halo or something, and not getting his way, he left.

[/quote]

I mean the creative director is pretty much supposed to get complete control over the "ideas" behind the game. The people underneath him just do as they are told. Maybe the publisher had something to do with this. They were trying to push a certain idea of how they wanted Halo to be, on him.

Yeah, I guess there really is no way to tell at what actually happened.  Just what he said.

never was a fan of Halo so I couldnt care less.

This new Halo business and 343 studios is a very delicate business. As Duddits said, there is no actual way of knowing what actually happened. But there is a fine balance between the legacy Bungie and what they left behind... leaving it intact... and at the same time putting creative new ideas into the franchise without disrupting anything. It's a lose/lose situation if you ask me. At least with the politics. The end resulting games might be the greatest thing however.

I think what he was trying to say is that the game itself hasn't had enough hype and preparation to be worthy of even being called Halo 4 for example he said that for the first time he didn't feel passionate about the halo 4 project and that the Halo franchise is there most valuable asses (obviously) and therefore they wont waste another day on something that wont work (milking it, see cod series)