10000 Bottle Caps

I really enjoy the Fallout series.  I played a lot of FO3 but just recently got around to playing NV.  After roughly 400 hours of the Fallout series, I've had a revelation: bottle caps is a retarded form of currency.  My character is running around right now with about 10000 caps.  Could you imagine what 10000 caps would be like?  Here's a visual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5HzSrxKjI

That's a lot of caps.  Not that I'm complaining about the inventory system... carrying 200 lbs of gear is ridiculous to begin with, and it is just a game.  I just find a huge pile of caps on top of 200lbs of gear is hilarious.  Instead of spurs that jingle-jangle-jingle, his pockets do. 

And can you imagine counting out a few thousand of them for a purchase?  Have you ever been behind someone at the checkout line in a store and they pay in pennies?  Buying $30 of stuff and paying for it in pennies would be the equivalent of counting out 3000 bottle caps.  Thankfully we are blessed with a mysterious teleportation system that immediately transfers the correct number of caps instantly.  IMO, it would be awesome if every time you confirmed a purchase the time would lapse about 3 hours to account for having to count out all those god forsaken caps.  

I know this post is dumb, and I'm sorry.  I just had to share my awesome insight with peeps familiar with the game. 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry.  Can't get G Chrome to format this.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I guess, but they had to use something common that was widely available.  The NCR is trying to reintroduce paper currency, but it's not valued as highly

Then again, you're trying to add logic to the bottomless pockets of video game inventories, and it's better than counting them out.  Hell, in Fallout 1, you had to add groups of 999 bottle caps to make any big purchase, and even that was annoying

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I love walking around with 135, 000 caps and 400 Legion Auereus' :P

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

^

Hardcore BALLA!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hardcore ballin' :D

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Probably one reason the developers used bottle caps is from their child hood.

I'm a boomer and can remember collecting bottle caps for the weekend sci- fi movie classic in the mid sixties.

You would use them like currency to get into the theater. Usually a well known brand like Coke or Pepsi.

We would spend days collecting them and trading them like currency.

This was back in the early to mid sixties.

The sponsors would raffle off cool toys like wooden skate boars with metal wheels.

When The world comes crashing down You will have a barter system and more negotiations at the barrel of a gun (sorry to say).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gutsy, the thought of you being almost 50 scares me a bit.  That being said, I agree that soda being part of that era's culture would help explain their usage in Fallout.  Mainly because I figure that a ton of soda bottles (and thus bottlecaps) were produced before the Great War, so there would be a lot of them, but since the technology to produce them was mostly lost after the Great War, counterfeiting them was difficult

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

God Maul I wish I were turning the big 50.

This month it's 55. I have always liked the Fallout genre and noticed little things thrown into the games from when I was a kid.

Personally I see more then just Fallout 4 coming down the pike now that Interplay is out of the picture.

I think the legalities are what caused Bethesda to look at outside sources to get New Vegas out before the judges decision, but who knows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="gutsycmor"]

God Maul I wish I were turning the big 50.

This month it's 55. I have always liked the Fallout genre and noticed little things thrown into the games from when I was a kid.

Personally I see more then just Fallout 4 coming down the pike now that Interplay is out of the picture.

I think the legalities are what caused Bethesda to look at outside sources to get New Vegas out before the judges decision, but who knows.

[/quote]That's even scarier

And obviously Bethesda will be developing more than just one more Fallout game, but Interplay wasn't the reason why (that was just the MMO, which we'll probably never see now).  They asked Obsidian because they were busy developing Skyrim and wanted another game to hold fans over, they wanted money, and maybe, just maybe, they wanted to appease older fans who disliked Fallout 3

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think they should make it harder to obtain caps. An average NPC in New Vegas carries about like 50 caps and I'm walking around with 30,000.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 13 Applies to: