Really upset at how difficult it is to change the email on my gamertag.

I have a gamertag associated with an old email account, I wanted to change it to match my current email account. I tried to do this through the console and it said I had to create a new microsoft account with the email I want to use. I did that, now I go through the console and it says that my email account is associated with a different xbox account and it can't change it. Can anyone help?

|

Hello,

You can change the Microsoft account that's associated with your Xbox LIVE gamertag. Here's how:

The Microsoft account (or Windows Live ID) you’re switching to is already linked to another Xbox account.

Before you can switch your gamertag in this case, you must first remove the existing gamertag from the Microsoft account you want to use. Here's how:

1. Consider the following scenario:
      • Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.
      • Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.

In this scenario, your gamertag is Gamertag B, and you want to move it to Microsoft account 1.

1. At accounts.live.com, create a new Microsoft account. You'll only need this account as a temporary means of moving your gamertags. 
        Example:
        • Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.
        • Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.
        • Microsoft account 3 is free.
      2. Switch the gamertag that's linked to the Microsoft account that you want to use to the Microsoft account that you created in Step 3. 
        Example:
        • Microsoft account 1 is now free.
        • Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 2.
        • Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 3.
      3. Switch your gamertag to the Microsoft account that you want to use. 
        Example:
        • Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.
        • Microsoft account 2 is now free.
        • Gamertag A remains linked to Microsoft account 3.
      4. To complete the switch of gamertags between the two original Microsoft accounts, you must wait 30 days. After 30 days, switch Gamertag A from Microsoft account 3 to Microsoft account 2
        Example:
        • Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 1.
        • Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 2.
        • Microsoft account 3 is now free.
      5. Cancel the Microsoft account that you created in step 2. 
        Example:
        • Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.
        • Gamertag A remains linked to Microsoft account 3.
        • Microsoft account 3 is cancelled.
    • When you change your Microsoft account, your Microsoft Points are automatically transferred to the new Microsoft account.
    • You can move a gamertag to a different Microsoft account only once every 30 days.
    • This includes new gamertags downloaded from Xbox LIVE.
    • If you try to move a gamertag before 30 days have passed since the last time you moved it, you’ll get the following error message:

Sorry, we can't change your Microsoft account right now.

• To change the Microsoft account associated with a child account, you must provide the Microsoft account information for the adult account that has parental control.
  • You can choose to require input of your Microsoft account password to sign in to Xbox LIVE. For more information on how to do this, see Password-protect your Xbox LIVE profile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have read this several times. Is this example using a 360? Will the Xbox gold subscription follow the gamer tag or the email account? This is not too clear if a person has a xbox one and 360.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Gold subscription will follow the gamertag.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar issue. I have tried changing my current Microsoft account to a completely new one that is not associated with any other gamertag. Upon entering all correct information I get Status code: 80154023. I have already looked up the code and it was very useless as is with customer support who referred me back to what I had already read. It's been more than a year since I had last changed it so the time frame is more than enough leeway for me to change it. In the entirety of the year however, I have tried to change it several times with the same status code.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seem like an opportunity for Microsoft to make more money. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to make the change I want. You should be able to verify your identity then submit your request in writing and pay your money and like magic it would be fixed. I don't understand why it's so difficult. Many people are having similar problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey DrAgOn,

The instructions posted are for the 360 console. At the present time, the Xbox One can not change the Microsoft accounts associated with the gamertags, and as fred said, the gold subscription will follow the gamertag.

Also on a side note, the instructions are a little out of date.

◾When you change your Microsoft account, your Microsoft Points are automatically transferred to the new Microsoft account.

Points are now currency, and currency will not transfer with you. You will need to spend the currency before you are able to make the transfer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Yezz, I have a 360 and a xbox one. I'm simply trying to take the gamertag (DrAgOnXxBrEaTh) which belongs to my grandson and move it to another account so it can be listed as a child on the xbox one. It seem like they could just remove his gamertag from my account. Generate me any random gamertag name for my account. Generate him a new account for his existing gamertag and link it to my account as a child. It's my fault that my account is fouled up so I think a reasonable fee of $60.00 would be acceptable maybe more if necessary. Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 88 Applies to: