Zune

Well ive searched high and low and couldnt find much at all. Im wondering what peoples opinion was of zune on the xbox or if anybody uses it? is it actually value for money because from what ive seen so far it looks pricy? all opinions good or bad welcome here....

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I haven't figured out why people would want to listen to music on a 75w device, but whatever.

Zune is MS's answer to iTunes, with one nice twist. If you subscribe to Zune Pass (now $99.99/yr), you get access to almost all music on the service and can download 10 songs a month (most as MP3s w/ no DRM) to keep for "free". Helps if you have an actual Zune player or a Windows Phone 7, though.

Videos are still pay-per-view or pay-to-rent. There's no "free" video streaming like Netflix or Hulu. The only things I own on Zune video are Halo Legends and Archer.

I wouldn't recommend it. I would go with MOG instead.

I 100% recommend Zune. While the Zune HD my have been discontinued, you can still use the service via PC, Xbox, or Windows Phone 7. Some sites like Amazon are still selling Zune HDs however.

Zune is a much cheaper option than iTunes also. People may look down on Zune just because its not iTunes. Don't listen to them. Most people can't come up with a valid reason to pick iTunes over Zune. Zune HD is for media and music, iPod touch is app based.

The main reason I look down on Zune is because I can't listen to my own music without that pricy Zune Pass, even the music I paid for via Zune itself on PC, yet I can access my purchased videos free of charge via XBox Live.  What kinda crap is that??  And why does it seem like there's no sort of implicationin the PC app that can at leasttell your Zune acct if you have music stored/copied from a CD so it can be streamed as well?

[quote user="EvilTwinGX"]The main reason I look down on Zune is because I can't listen to my own music without that pricy Zune Pass, even the music I paid for via Zune itself on PC[/quote]When you buy something with Zune Pass, it's downloaded to a PC and that's it. You do not get permanent re-download or streaming rights to the music. You wouldn't be able to listen to it on another Zune device that doesn't have a copy of it, either.[quote]yet I can access my purchased videos free of charge via XBox Live. What kinda crap is that?? [/quote]Most services are like this with respect to music, including iTunes up until iCloud.

For video, they can halt re-download at any time, but I doubt they will. The 360's HDD isn't big enough to hold permanent copies of video. If MS wants to position Zune as a video purchase platform it has to allow for streaming and re-download of content[quote]And why does it seem like there's no sort of implicationin the PC app that can at leasttell your Zune acct if you have music stored/copied from a CD so it can be streamed as well?[/quote]Again, that's new functionality on iTunes and has a fee associated with it. There's nothing that stops you from streaming your PC's music to your console via Zune's sharing option.

I still sayn it's complete crap that I can't listen to my own Zune purchased music on my Xbox 360 like I can from my PC, and yet Zune purchased videos can be redownloaded or streamed to the Xbox 360 because the service recognizes that yiou payed for it  I use Zune on both PC and XBox Live, I use MS' currency, why the devil do I need some useless pass and pay more $ to listen to music I already purchased?  The Zune pass serves no useful/cheaper purpose from my point of view, just a way for MS to squeeze more $ outta you.  Also, with music I copied from purchased CDs, i notice they don't show up at all on Zune on XBox 360, even just to listen for 15 seconds.

[quote user="EvilTwinGX"]I still sayn it's complete crap that I can't listen to my own Zune purchased music on my Xbox 360 like I can from my PC, [/quote]But that's not a 360 issue. Log into Zune using another authorized PC. You won't find your purchased music available. I have this same issue with PCs as I have Zune authorized for a main PC and a laptop. If I buy something on the main PC, I don't magically get a copy of it on my laptop. I have to manually copy the file to the laptop somehow.

This isn't necessarily MS's doing. This could be something the record companies require.[quote]and yet Zune purchased videos can be redownloaded or streamed to the Xbox 360 because the service recognizes that yiou payed for it [/quote]That's the model that video uses. Keep in mind those videos are DRM'ed, unlike most purchased music (there are a few DRM'ed WMA-only songs out there, but most are un-DRM'ed MP3s).[quote]I use Zune on both PC and XBox Live, I use MS' currency, why the devil do I need some useless pass and pay more $ to listen to music I already purchased? [/quote]You don't, you just have to copy or share the music with the 360.[quote]The Zune pass serves no useful/cheaper purpose from my point of view, [/quote]Huh? You get nearly unrestricted access to the ENTIRE Zune catalog with the Pass. That's the point of Zune Pass. If all you want to do is purchase music you don't need the pass, just enable sharing with the 360.[quote]Also, with music I copied from purchased CDs, i notice they don't show up at all on Zune on XBox 360, even just to listen for 15 seconds.[/quote]You're not real familiar with the point of Zune Pass, are you? It's not an iCloud sync'ing service equivalent...

I don't care for Zune at all. I just did a 14-day trial of the music pass. I actually only bothered with it a couple days before I cancelled. I didn't like the software on the xbox, I couldn't download their software on my computer, I didn't like how I couldn't use it on my ipod or my android phone (compared to other services). Sure you can use it on a windows 7 phone, but I don't own one so that doesn't do anything for me there.

The video service is... a bit insane, if you ask me. I think it's crazy to have to pay for tv episodes. :/  No, I don't expect things for free but I am not going to pay X amount of dollars to watch Cats 101 (for example). lol  I guess if you wanted to rent a new release it might be more convenient?  At the end of the day it's to each his own. Just not my cup of tea...

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="EvilTwinGX"]I still sayn it's complete crap that I can't listen to my own Zune purchased music on my Xbox 360 like I can from my PC, [/quote]But that's not a 360 issue. Log into Zune using another authorized PC. You won't find your purchased music available. I have this same issue with PCs as I have Zune authorized for a main PC and a laptop. If I buy something on the main PC, I don't magically get a copy of it on my laptop. I have to manually copy the file to the laptop somehow.

This isn't necessarily MS's doing. This could be something the record companies require.[quote]and yet Zune purchased videos can be redownloaded or streamed to the Xbox 360 because the service recognizes that yiou payed for it [/quote]That's the model that video uses. Keep in mind those videos are DRM'ed, unlike most purchased music (there are a few DRM'ed WMA-only songs out there, but most are un-DRM'ed MP3s).[quote]I use Zune on both PC and XBox Live, I use MS' currency, why the devil do I need some useless pass and pay more $ to listen to music I already purchased? [/quote]You don't, you just have to copy or share the music with the 360.[quote]The Zune pass serves no useful/cheaper purpose from my point of view, [/quote]Huh? You get nearly unrestricted access to the ENTIRE Zune catalog with the Pass. That's the point of Zune Pass. If all you want to do is purchase music you don't need the pass, just enable sharing with the 360.[quote]Also, with music I copied from purchased CDs, i notice they don't show up at all on Zune on XBox 360, even just to listen for 15 seconds.[/quote]You're not real familiar with the point of Zune Pass, are you? It's not an iCloud sync'ing service equivalent...

[/quote]

Exactly!  No useful/cheaper purpose of the Zunbe pass; You have to pay to stream, inlcuding music you already own, which is the bs of the pass.  Their website already tells me everything i need to know about it, and when I look at the options, they're useless to me, including streaming sincce you need to for the pass anyway just to share the music.  The service should automatically be detecting your purchases and allowing you to play them without it.  Plus, where are you getting "enable sharing with the 360" from??  There's no option like this on Zune on XBox Live or the XBox 360 itself.

Just thought I'd update briefly;  I took a look at both Zune settings onXBox 360 and my PC, found what you were talking about..... It's already set to "Share with all available Xbox 360 consoles".  However, as I pointed out before, when I went to find my music on Zune on Xbox 360, what do ya know when i try to open it?  it asks me to sign up for a Zune pass, so evidentally you're wrong about it not being required to use your own music, which brings me right back to my point abpout paying to listen to music I already purchased with them.