xbox wont recognize hdd

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I’m going to start with saying that I’m an idiot. I just bought an elite with the 120gb hdd. So I went out and got myself a transfer kit. Everyone I talked to, including the retards at gamestop said that you no longer needed the transfer disc to do the transfer because of one of the system updates. So I went ahead and plugged everything in like your supposed to and pressed the transfer button on the screen. But when I did it told me that I have to format the drive so that the xbox can read it. I hit yes. Now whenever I plug it into the top of the xbox it doesn’t recognize that it has a frive plugged into it. Is there anything I can do?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Sounds like the people at Gamestop sold you a 3rd party transfer kit.  Those are the only ones that reformat the hard drives for the xbox and unfortunately are not covered by Microsoft.  Hard drives are pre-formatted to work with the consoles so do not need to be formatted again.

I would recommend you take the system back for an exchange for a new hard drive.  Then get yourself a usb drive (you can have up to 16 gb usb drive to store).  What you do from here is format the usb drive on the console and then copy any files you want to tranfer to the stick (gamertags and save files are all you really need to do).  Any downloaded content will always be available to your gamertag under your download history (once it's paid for, that's it).

Finally with the new console be sure to do the license transfer.  Once the transfer is complete you will need to recover your tag to the new console to ensure that is marked as your main one.  Once that is complete you're done and ready to go.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

so the drive is completely fried?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you used a 3rd party (anything other than Microsoft brand) transfer kit and reformatted your drive, then yes.  Take it back to the store and force them to replace it for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

i've got a spare 20gb. can i get a proper transfer cable and swap a 20 to a 20?

Sorry this didn't help.

A transfer cable won't swap a 20 for a 20, only to a larger size.  You can, however, use my usb idea.  But I would take the 120 gb drive back to Gamestop and get them to replace it for you seeing as how it was one of their employees who gave you the poor advice.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would suggest getting a proper transfer cable. They're a lot cheaper than flash drives. I would only use a USB if you would like to put downloaded games or installed games onto there. (so then space on your hard drive would be clear)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="onyx62is"]A transfer cable won't swap a 20 for a 20, only to a larger size.[/quote]This is incorrect. Transfer cables and kits are able to transfer between same-size drives as well as from smaller source to larger destination drives.

It's also possible to transfer select data from a larger drive to a smaller drive by cancelling the transfer process and accessing the drive via System Settings, Memory. It shows up as a Transfer Cable device and can Copy/Move data just as any other storage device can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you IceStorm.  You are right, I remembered my information incorrectly.  What I was thinking of was that you can't go from a larger drive to a smaller one.  Thanks for correcting me.

Sorry this didn't help.